Chapter Twelve - Starubius

"What about Scarlet? It is red," Chloe suggests, indicating the red scales lined on the dragon's body.

"I don't think so, probably Andros? At least something cooler or awesome," I say.

  Suddenly, a man appears from behind me. His face is covered with his black hood, a thick shadow hides his facial features. Wanting to see his face, I turn on my Night Vision and look at him. His bushy eyebrows lines thickly above his black coloured eye, fixed into my gaze. His face is shaved. His nose is rounded, a faint mark of moustache grows below his nostrils. His sharp chin can be seen pointed out of the shadow of his hood.

"Don't even think about it," he says with a deep mysterious voice. "I have named my dragon that already. Think of something else then."

"Hm, how about Starubius? It is like a star ruby, red and a gem," Chloe suggests again.

"Starubius... That's not a bad name," I think out loud. I look at the man, asking for any suggestion.

"Well, I can't decide on the name, it's your choice anyway," the man shrugs, "But I can say that it isn't a bad choice."

  "So Starubius it is!" Chloe exclaims happily, fist bumping the air.

  Starubius coils around my neck with happiness. I smile at the little dragon. Starubius, I think, that shall be your name.

  "Man, I'm so jealous, I have yet to know my inner demon," Chloe sighs.

Just then, the PA system turns on with a crackle. "Sorry for the interruption. First Year students please report to the canteen. I repeat, First Year students please report to the canteen. Thank you." With that, the PA system turns off with a crackle.

"That's your cue then," the man says.

Chloe tugs on my sleeve. "Come on, we've got to go to the canteen," she says before rushing off.

"Where is the canteen?" I ask, jogging behind her. I turn back to the man, his figure fading with distance. As we make our way to the canteen, I made a point to keep a reasonable distance behind Chloe, for her hair is long.

"Just follow me," she replies. We run deeper and deeper into the village and reach an open space with tables laid around.

"There!" Chloe points at a round table with a stand showing the number one. It is filled with other Demoners, seated in a circle around the large table. Two seats were left and the two of us sit on the empty chairs. A tall middle aged man in yellow uniform cleared his throats to get everyone's attention.

"Welcome to the Demoner Academy. I am Captain Lynch and I'll be your mentor for this year," the man begins, an air of authority and confidence in him. "Now I'm going to take your attendances," Captain Lynch says, taking out a wooden clip board and a graphite pencil. "First off, Alexander?"

"Here."

"Chloe?"

"Present."

"Dylan?"

"Present."

"Ernest?"

"Here."

"Francis?"

"Here."

This went on for quite a while. I quietly count a total of twenty one First Year students.

  "Okay, all are here," says Captain Lynch, clipping the pencil on the board. "Your first lesson will start in two days, so you would need to know the rules. The first rule is no fighting, unless they are combat sessions under a teacher's supervision. No inappropriate use of spells, for example, using a speeding spell to rush to your class." I look down in embarrassment, realising that I had broke a rule unknowingly.