Chapter Thirteen - The Call For Duty

Zack

  Mrs Krane sits behind her desk, her feather pen wavering around as she writes on the incidence.

  I burst through the door. I had waved Joel goodbye at the village with Chloe. Wonder how he's having his first dinner, I think to myself.

  "Mrs Krane, may I speak to you for a moment?" I ask with a polite bow.

  "Why sure, Zack. Tell me about it," Mrs Krane says, placing her feather pen into the ink container. Jack is standing at a side with a friendly smile at the sight of me. I smile back in return before turning back to Mrs Krane.

  "It is about the orcs," I begin, "Remember when I told you I found Joel from the orphanage? He was first discovered by an orc." Mrs Krane gasps in surprise. "He had disguised himself as a human, and had been threatening and bullying Joel. I suspect that the orcs are into attacking us again like last century's Cold War."

  The scene replays in my mind. I recall the moment as I was just walking down the streets home when suddenly I felt a strong urge to move towards an orphanage at the side of the streets. It was like I was sensing something, but can't place it anywhere.

  Just then, I spotted a silhouette jumping out of an open window, successfully doing a forward roll that I had just learnt a few days ago. There was clapping from the scene and another shadow appeared. The urge became stronger and distinct at that moment and I crept forward. My hand cautiously turning light green in the shape of a dotted lizard and turned invisible.

They began to talk, one of them is obviously confused and tended from the way he is standing firm and slightly shaky.

  "Then why did you attack me?" He asked. Then the other roared out that he was an orc Demoner. My eye widen in surprise at that. It was that moment I knew that the urge was a sense that a foe Demoner around.

A burst of red light appeared and the man turned into an orc, firing red fireballs in rapid succession.

The other was dodging the fireball fairly well. But I notice that trails of violets appear as he moved and instantly knew he is a rare Demoner who starts of strong and had the power of violet.

The violet trail of mana begin to flicker and the boy slowed down to normal. The orc's hand turned red in the shape of a fireball, charging up to shoot a strong blast of fire.

"They are also well trained, Mrs Krane," I add, "Despite the orc being a red Demoner, he can use spells like a graduated year six, where most of us would be already at green. He has perfectly learnt and mastered the Mimic spell which our Demonists have been trying to find. He even tried to kill Joel!"

  I remember that I immediately threw up a shield in front of Joel in the nick of time. The shot was stronger than I thought as I continuously fed the spell with mana. The fireball spell was finally absorbed and I quickly form a cross on my hand and fire mana through the image, forming an energy sword.

The orc was able to make a turn round to me and tried to form a jagged circle in a shape of a Mana Shield spell. But it was too late and I pierced the sword through his chest.

"Hm, this is serious," Mrs Krane says, slumping down on her chair, "We've got to be careful."

"We might need the Elves and Dwarves," Jack includes, folding his arms.

The elves and dwarves are other allies of the human race. They helped us in the Cold War. However, the elves and dwarves quickly left soon after the battle for unknown reasons. It has caused many of us human Demoners to drop further in population. Every age has approximately twenty to thirty five Demoners.