Chapter Twenty - First Attack

Zack

Paperworks. Paperworks. Paperworks. I rest my elbow on the table, using my hand to hold my head up. The beginning comfort of the leather chair slowly drains away, replaced by the growing ache in my backside.

Dinner break has passed an hour ago, but the event that occured replays in my mind over and over again.

I was talking to Jack, concerning about Joel's demon when I caught sight of Yitrus walking towards the first year's tables. From past experiences with the spoilt brat, I know that he could spell out trouble.

  Standing from a distance, Yitrus's words reached me loud and clear. He said that Joel has no demon and from the conversation with Jack a few minutes before the incident, it is no surprise that Yitrus couldn't see the dragon, much less that he assumes Joel has no inner demon.

  That boy has got to be dealt with sooner or later. Thank goodness for Jessica. She has been trying her best to keep her Brother out of trouble, though it has been unsuccessful at times. Well, at least she tried.

I look at the pile of white and inks. Reports has been coming in, the door making the familiar creak as the messagers come in and out of my office. This job is getting me tired.

Thud thud thud.

"Come in," I drone. Usually, the common messagers will come in slowly, make a bow and place the letters and envelopes on the pile before leaving.

I am not prepared for a quick entrance and a panting muddy person to be rushing into my office. I raise my brow, expecting a reason for the behaviour. The messager puts his hands on his knees to catch his breath and keeping his head down.

"What is it?" I ask impatiently. Either this is an urgent and important letter or just bad courier training, both of which should not be held longer.

  The bent over figure looks up, revealing a bruise on his left cheek and, on further inspection, a cut on his fore arm. I recognise the facial figures of the face. Ransdail? Why is he here so quickly?

  He has been sent to the orc scouting group two days ago as part of the protection plan.

  Ransdail gathers his thoughts, pausing for a brief moment. "Sir, Lynch was caught."

  Lynch was caught? By whom? Of course by the orgs! I blink a couple of times, registering the fact. "Wait... WHAT?!" My voice box vibrates rapidly and painfully, emitting a booming and echoing voice into the room.

  "They were ambushed by the orcs who happens to be scouting too." Ransdail drops his gaze to the floor, feeling upset for the loss of his scout mate. "According to their massage sent via a courier pigeon, they're about a week walk from here."

A message? "Pass me the message." Losing Lynch is like missing three men. He's a capable fighter, guide and leader in a war. He must be saved and the message should have information on the orc camp.

Unrolling the small paper, I read the miniature document.

We are able to escape from the orcs but Lynch is caught. Hundred Kilometre east. We have tracked ten orcs in their camp.

End message.

Ten? That's a tough nut to crack! Moreover, we have limited backup to save Lynch. Where can I get extra help?

On the back of the slip is a drawn out map of the camp and their rotations. These can be helpful to make an attack.

"I'll be leaving, sir." Ransdail is still standing before my desk.