Chapter 12

The two other kids arrived before too long and Agatha started our lesson. She was teaching us how to spell and form sentences. I remembered most of it from when Mom taught me, but it was a good refresher. We got to write our own sentences. I chose to write about plants, I was really interested in them since Diane's work seemed to involve them a great deal.

I looked at Agatha, "How do you spell wild bergamot?"

Agatha blinked and gave me a blank look, "What is that?"

I could remember the picture in the book, but not how to spell the name, "It is a plant that is sometimes called horsemint, but I want to spell its proper name."

She grabbed a big book, "Let's look it up."

It was my turn to blink, "Why do you need to look it up?" She was a teacher, I thought that she would know everything.

She chuckled, "Even teachers never stop learning. Ah, here it is. W-i-l-d b-e-r-g-a-m-o-t."

I wrote it down and continued my story of a horse trying out horsemint. I wondered if horsemint affected horses like catnip affected cats, well, it would in my story. I found it humorous that Diane knew what the plant looked like, the soil it preferred, how it tasted and the teacher didn't even know how to spell the name.

We had several breaks where we got to play and have snacks. There were lessons in math, sciences, english, and a class called life skills. Life skills was an hour long session where Agatha showed us things that would help us when we were older, like sewing and washing dishes. Agatha also went over several jobs that they called professions and what each one did in the Fort.

It was currently break time and Elisa and Mark were playing with a train set. None of the toys interested me, but I sat down anyways and watched. I was more interested in their company.

Elisa looked at me, "Laura, do you have any idea which profession you want to go into when you are old enough to join?"

I didn't even have to think about it. Diane was a Forager. "I want to join the Foragers."

Elisa shook her head, "I think it would be more fun to be a Cook, although I think it would be cool to be in one of maintenance groups." She tilted her head in thought, "Although I might join a farming group since I love animals."

I glanced at Mark, he shrugged, "I always wanted to be a mechanic, but Uncle says that the vehicles won't run much longer, so I am not sure."

Elisa clapped her hands, "Oh! You could be a Raider! Lots of excitement and adventure!"

Mark winced and shook his head, "No, I could never be a Raider or Forager. I never want to see a zombie again."

Elisa slumped down and moved a track so her train wouldn't run into Mark's train. Eventually Agatha called us back to the small table for more spelling practice. I aced the quizzes since every word she had asked us to spell had been in one of my story books. Agatha sat in a bigger chair, "Try and spell tree."

That was an easy one. T-r-e-e. It reminded me of the faint scent of pine tree sap. I could almost imagine the pine tree forest covered in snow. I blinked, the smell was faintly stronger now. I was positive that I wasn't imagining it. I turned around and inhaled in shock as I saw Diane leaning against the doorframe watching us.

I immediately got up and ran over as fast as I could, "You're back!" I couldn't believe how much I had missed her.

As I ran towards her she shifted her weight and crouched down. Instead of opening up her arms, she slid her hands under my armpits and used my own speed to twirl me in a circle several times. I laughed from sheer joy. I couldn't remember the last time I had been so happy.