Chapter 52

I woke again as I heard voices. Dave and Diane were speaking, but too softly for me to hear. I turned my head so I could look down. Dave got up to walk around the far trailer. Diane stood with a sigh and looked towards the forest and started walking. I debated internally before sitting up and calling very softly, "Diane?"

No matter how quiet my voice was, she always seemed to hear me. She paused and turned, "Yes Laura?"

I hadn't heard her come back. Dave was getting onto the trailer that he slept on. He seemed really sad. Diane's eyes were glowing with their normal light, even though Dave was still up. I quietly climbed down the ladder in my purple pjs, "Why is Dave sad? I saw you speaking with the riders on the road. What is wrong?"

I knew that I had missed several other discussions, perhaps she would bring me up to speed. I was also confused as to why she wasn't coming to bed. Diane looked down the road, "Let's walk over to that rock that Ace was sitting on and I will tell you."

I nodded and took her hand while she guided me down the pitch black road. Her eyes were the only thing I could clearly see. She started speaking quietly as we walked, "Ace was out here to warn me that many people inside the fence are scared that I was infected or that I might be carrying a mutated virus. They won't let me go inside the fence. The Base Commander and other Commanders were unable to talk sense into them."

She sighed, "I am going to head west and see if I can find that medical research center that is supposed to be there. Maybe they can tell me what happened since we know that something has changed since I was bitten. You are welcome to stay in the base with Trish, Nancy, or anyone else. Dave and Matthew both said you are welcome in their groups. You can also join me if you want, but I don't know what the future holds for me."

I already knew which path I would take if I had the chance. "I am going with you. I don't get it, you haven't hurt anyone who didn't try to hurt you first. You even moved to the treehouse to make them happy earlier. Why are they scared now?"

She shrugged, "We don't know. I might return in a year or two and see if things have calmed down."

I couldn't really see why people found Diane so scary. Then again, I wouldn't try to kill someone because they were different, but several inside the Fort were doing just that.

Diane looked up and pointed, "Ace was bringing Trish out to say goodbye and there they are."

I peered down the road, but I didn't see anything. It was probably around midnight, so it was really dark. I suspected that Diane's glowing eyes could see far more than I ever would. "I don't see them..."

"They are in the distance and it is dark out. Why don't we walk over to meet them?"

Some days I wondered if she read my mind. I smiled up at Diane and nodded, "Sure."

It would be nice to see Trish one last time until we came back in a few years. I continued to hold her hand as we walked down the road. Once we got much closer I could see them. Trish ran over to throw her arms around Diane, "I can't believe you have to leave!"

Trish had to have noticed her glowing eyes, but obviously didn't care. It was just as obvious that Trish was going to miss us. Diane hugged her back, "We wondered if this would happen. I will send back letters if I ever find a trustworthy trader. I will try to come back in a few years as well."

Trish shook her head as she stepped back, "Hopefully Dave will be able to find you later on. I am going to miss you. Shoot, I will even miss all those pranks you played on me."

Diane chuckled, "Don't tempt me to sneak back into the base to booby trap your door one last time."

Trish chuckled weakly, "Ace told me that you were planning on heading west to a medical research center?"