Chapter 17

I woke up and peeked out of my blankets at a rustling sound. Diane had just finished getting dressed. "Due to the wedding party last night the morning bell was turned off. We help out with various necessary tasks, but we more or less have the day to ourselves."

She turned around to look at me. I had no idea how she knew I was awake, but at this point I wasn't surprised. I doubted that much went on that she wasn't aware of. I smiled in excitement, "We get to spend all day together?"

She smiled and nodded. I quickly got dressed and we snuck past a sleeping Trish to go get breakfast. I had never seen this place so empty. We might have passed three people in the hallway and only two were eating in the mess hall.

We finished and took our dirty dishes towards the kitchen. Diane looked at me, "Feel like helping the kitchen people? I can wash dishes if you want to dry them."

She wanted me to help her? Of course I would! I was excited to be able to finally be able to do something for her. I grinned and nodded, "Sure."

We entered the kitchen and I was shocked at how many dishes there were. I didn't even know that this many pots and pans even existed. The people who did dishes must have also had yesterday evening off for the party because all sorts of dirty dishes were piled everywhere. Everything was waiting to be washed. I was glad to see that five other people were already here and starting to wash and dry dishes.

Diane went to an empty sink and filled it with hot soapy water and started washing dishes. I dried and them put them away. Another lady told me where they went and pointed to the spot as she dried more dishes. Two of the ladies were chattering happily away with one guy. Another lady was washing dishes while listening to them. Another big guy seemed quite uneasy as he scrubbed big dirty pots.

I noticed that the last guy seemed to tense up slightly whenever I passed by him to put something away. I wasn't sure why though. He was tall and had lots of muscles, I couldn't figure out why he seemed nervous around me. Maybe he was worried about scaring me. He occasionally spoke to a few of the other people in a deep voice, and I learned that his name was Frances, but he was mostly silent as he worked.

About an hour later Diane figured we had washed enough dishes and we left. More people had joined us in the kitchen so someone else took over the sink to keep scrubbing pots.

We headed back towards our room. Diane examined the door as we approached it and paused outside Trish's door. She went down to one knee and beckoned me closer, "How about we wake up Trish in a different way this morning?"

I grinned at her and she quickly led me down the hallway as we went to retrieve something she had seen previously. Before long we were back and I was armed with my weapon. Diane got me to take my boots off before she opened the door and we snuck into Trish's room.

Diane held up a hand and I waited while watching her. She went up beside Trish and moments later she came back with a big knife that she put on the dresser. Why would anyone sleep with a knife under their pillow? I would be scared of it coming out of its sheath and cutting myself on it.

She gestured and I came closer. Diane picked me up and slowly put me on the end of Trish's bed. I sat still as Diane slowly climbed onto the bed to sit beside me. Trish was still snoring and oblivious to our presence. Diane grinned at me and nodded.

With a grin I slowly picked up my weapon. It was cat toy made from a flexible wand and a single feather on the end. Diane had tied a stick to it so I could reach Trish's face from the end of her bed. I carefully held it and gently brushed it against her hair. She rolled over and kept snoring.