Chapter 99

My radio woke me up. "Laura, could you please come up here and take over for a bit? I need a run."

I quickly got out of my hammock and climbed up the scaffolding. Diane's brilliantly glowing blue eyes watched me. She had been up all night watching those walking. Her glowing eyes had reassured those who couldn't really see where they were going in the dark. They knew that nothing dangerous was nearby.

She had only come down for bathroom breaks since lunchtime and the sun was getting ready to rise. The warning pain was probably getting pretty bad for her. I had never seen her this stationary since we met. She had been stretching and occasionally jogging on the spot up here, but that would only do so much for so long.

She nodded her thanks before climbing down. I peered into the darkness, I wasn't used to trying to see far away in the dark. The heat in my blood shifted and rose as the world suddenly appeared brighter. I was grateful for the Heartfire's aid. It was making my stint as a sentry much easier.

I watched the people below. Most looked more stiff than in pain. By the time the sun rose in a few hours, they should only have aches and no actual pain. Diane did a quick lap inside the palisade before climbing a ladder over the wall.

I couldn't see her for a bit as the logs blocked my view, then she appeared as she circled away from the palisade walls, slowly luring zombies away that had been attracted by our scent. Todd was starting breakfast below and about half of the fired people were awake as they slowly walked around.

They were exhausted, but still trying. We weren't going anywhere for a few days, so they could nap intermittently all day long. By the time noon rolled around, they would be able to sleep for 3 or 4 hours without having to get up. They would be stiff, but they shouldn't feel any actual pain.

I carefully turned as I inspected all directions. Other than a few crickets and fireflies, the last of the night was silent.

       I rode on top of the trailer. Everyone was riding at the moment. The sun was shining brightly and we were making excellent time. We were going too fast for anyone to attempt to run. Roland slowed down about every hour to let people jog or run. All of the bicycles had people pedalling just for exercise.

The six horses that Roland had kept were riding in a trailer since we were nearly traveling at legal highway speeds with the steam engines and solar. This speed burned through a ton of wood very inefficiently though, so we would be chopping lots of wood tonight.

Many eyes were showing glimpses of blue. It had been seven days and their eyes were beginning to change. A few who had worn glasses no longer wore them as their eyesight improved. Within days they would all be sporting the same bright blue eyes that Diane, Todd, and I did.

We no longer camped inside the settlements we visited. It was easier to remain outside, especially since everyone needed exercise before bed as a precaution. I looked ahead as I saw walls in the distance. That would be our next stop.

A couple of the larger men put on some arm guards and chest armour that a blacksmith had made them. It helped to discourage any theft. They had progressed past the basics with their weapons after all of Diane's training sessions. Most were now carrying daggers or swords.

We pulled up beside a side gate and the adults started hauling out the fences. I was too small to really help with that, so I went to hook the small chicken run up to the door on the chicken coop. No sense in letting the chickens get underfoot while we were trading.

It didn't take long for tables to be set up and filled with all manner of items and trade goods. They had lots of practice. Five trailers could hold a lot of stuff. Larger items like plows or wheelbarrows sat on the grass. People would talk to Roland about larger or unusual items that may still be in the trailers.