Chapter 69

Diane eventually recovered from Ninette's revelation, "So where did that virus come from anyways? Where does the silver color and burning sensation come from?"

Ninette sighed, "I am not exactly sure. That virus has features from the zombie virus, white blood cells, T cells, and several other cells that make up your circulatory, nervous, and immune system. I am guessing that it has something to do with your overactive T cells and probably other factors that we are not aware of at the moment. We will have to do more testing."

She rubbed her forehead, "I did some other tests and it reacts similarly to any other cell, virus, allergen, or bacteria it encounters. Including a small sample of my skin tissue, which, judging from how it was attacked, would have likely been quite painful for me. Oddly enough, I injected an aids virus into one of your cells and put it in there and that virus found it immediately and destroyed the entire cell. It seems to attack anything except for your own healthy cells."

Diane glanced up at the pictures, "How long did it take to destroy that virus?"

"Quite quickly when compared to a normal white blood cell, all in all, about a minute."

Diane's eyebrows drew together in confusion, "So if it doesn't affect my healthy cells, where does the burning come from?"

Ninette checked some of her notes on paper, "That is a good question, and I am hoping that you are game to help me figure it out. It may hurt a bit though."

She pulled a drawer open and brandished some sort of handle with a spring trigger. Diane eyed up the weird device with a suspicious gaze, "And just what is that?"

She held it loosely in her hand and undid the fastened spring, allowing a very narrow hollow tube to slide down from its hiding place, "This will allow me to take a sample of your skin layers and analyze what is going on in various layers of skin and muscle near the surface. It hurts a bit more than a horsefly bite, since it goes about a centimeter into your skin."

Diane's eyes widened, "Who invented this method of torture?"

I held my breath, this scientist kept bringing out worse and worse testing instruments. Was this a science lab or a haunted house?

Ninette chuckled, "I hold a similar reaction, thankfully some others will let me use it in the name of science. I am hoping to only have to use it four times, once after heavy exercise, once when that warning heat is getting stronger, once when there is actual pain, and once after you start exercising just after the pain fades completely."

She didn't want to use it on herself, but wanted to use it on Diane four times? I was beginning to think that I might not like this lady. To think that Diane had only been worried about needles when she had this thing hidden casually in a drawer.

Diane didn't look like she was in agreement with Ninette's plan. I didn't blame her. "What exactly is in it for me?"

Ninette chuckled, "Well, hopefully we will find out what is causing you pain and what is happening in your body. Perhaps we can even find a way to prevent the pain."

Diane sighed as she gave in, "What do you want me to do?" I had a hard time believing that Diane was willing to go through with this.

Ninette grinned and picked up a specimen tube with fluid, "Are you restless at all right now, or is the warning heat starting to appear?"

"No, I feel pretty normal."

She chuckled, "How about we get a control sample then?"

Okay, this lady seemed far too happy about this. Diane winced, but nodded, "Sure."