Chapter 88

Diane seemed more at ease as we traveled in the back of the truck. Roland and Amber often spoke with her about news from other locations. We had been in quite a few places during the last month, so we had some basic things to share. People weren't staring at us so much now, our novelty must be wearing off. Riders moved around as they pleased as they talked with others or rode on top of the trailers.

I shifted restlessly. We had been riding for a couple of hours and I hadn't sat this much since we had been in Bethany Fort. I wasn't sure how Diane sat so patiently, I knew her Heartfire was more established than mine was. She was used to hiding it though, and had the experience that I lacked.

Diane glanced down at me, she knew I was getting fidgety. She rose to one knee and stretched a bit, "Feel like walking for a bit?"

I nodded quickly. Diane easily jumped down before lifting me down. Amber was riding beside us, watching in disbelief, "I don't think you will be able to keep up on foot for long. When you get tired feel free to jump back up."

I hid a grin at her words. Diane grinned and nodded, "Thanks, although I don't think it is likely. We are used to lots of exercise." That comment might make the understatement of the year award.

The trucks were going fast enough that Diane was lightly jogging. My shorter legs had to move a bit faster, but this was about the same pace we usually travelled at. It felt good to stretch my legs, although I stuck close to Diane.

Others were watching us in surprise or amusement. I heard two on the other side making bets on how long it would be before we climbed back into the truck bed. I looked around at the procession, I could see ahead of the truck now.

Half a dozen people were riding in front of the first truck. They were there to lure any zombies out of our path. There weren't any zombies in sight at the moment though, this was a really remote area. The people were quite relaxed, although they kept an eye on the trees for trouble.

After a while I relaxed and gave Diane a bit more space. I wasn't used to just running along the road, I normally meandered here and there looking at things. It was tempting to do so again. Diane was as relaxed as she ever was around strangers, so I figured it was safe enough for me to explore a bit if I didn't leave her sight.

I spotted a pretty rock along the edge of the road ahead and picked up a bit of speed to get it. It wasn't far from us. I picked it up and brought it back to show her, "Look at the pretty colors."

It really was a pretty rock. Mostly white with green and grey bands running through it like layers. Diane nodded, "It is very nice."

I grinned and went to drop it back at the side of the road for another traveller to admire one day. Diane kept an eye on me, but didn't seem concerned and that bolstered my courage. I found a few more rocks to show Diane before dropping them at the side of the road.

My trips slowly got further and further away from Diane until I was actually off the highway and in the grass. Many plants had sprouted, although most weren't really big enough to pick yet. I recognized some edible plants and picked them. I shyly approached Amber and passed them to her.

She thanked me with a gentle smile and put the plants in an empty basket. I continued to gather more plants with numerous trips to the side of the road. Amber and Roland had spoken with Diane and me somewhat, so it wasn't too bad approaching them, but I couldn't bring myself to go up to any of the others yet.

My shyness was a nuisance, but it wasn't as bad as it used to be. Back in Bethany Fort, I wouldn't have even left Diane's side or approached someone when I barely knew their name. It was late afternoon and I still wasn't used to having people constantly watching me. Out here, there was not much to do while traveling, so watching the two people who had mysteriously appeared out of the tall grass was something new to do.