Chapter 131

We played a few different games that were stored under the table. People trickled back to the cliffs. The back of Diane's lounger faced the meadow, so almost no one noticed that she was in it. Todd came over to visit and was surprised to see she was on the deck and asleep. He didn't know she had donated blood tonight. On days she did, she normally went to her room if she knew that she was that tired.

I passed him a blue token and Todd silently joined our game of snakes and ladders. He glanced at her in concern and whispered, "Why is she asleep? Is she sick?"

Ace shook his head and whispered back, "No, she donated blood again today and the aftereffects seem to stack up this close to her last donation."

Todd looked confused, "She gave blood last night, she could have waited several days. It wasn't like it was a rush."

Ace shrugged, "She was curious to see if there would be any side-effects and wanted to try it in a controlled environment."

Todd glanced at Diane as she was still sleeping, "Well, I guess she got her answer."

Ace and I both nodded. Todd glanced at her in perplexity, "I have no idea how our whispering doesn't wake her."

Ace sighed, "She was quite tired."

Todd glanced the other way and I turned to see Trish and Nathan approaching. Trish's hair was still damp from the lake. Todd held up a finger to his lips for silence before pointing to Diane's mostly hidden form. They blinked in surprise, but nodded as they came over to take the last two empty chairs.

It felt odd for the two armed fighters to approach when Diane was sleeping and clearly unaware of their presence. I kept glancing at their brown eyes before I realized what I was doing. A glance at Todd and Ace showed that both of them were watching Trish and Nathan with bright blue eyes. I sighed, Heartfire may protect Heartfire, but it was a nuisance for our other friends.

Trish tilted her head as she blinked in confusion at Diane. How she was sleeping with her arm over her eyes completely baffled me, but she was managing it. Her face was peaceful as it usually was when she slept. Even in sleep she looked exhausted.

Trish sighed quietly, "Okay, even I can't consider revenge for the dozens of pranks she has pulled on me in the past when she looks like that."

Todd looked at Trish, "She played dozens of pranks on you? When?"

Trish clarified, "Oh, not here. Back when we were in Wainwright Fort. We used to be roommates in a two room suite" Trish sighed, "I lost count of the number of times I planned to install a lock on my side of the door..."

Todd looked intrigued, "What did she do?"

Nathan was amused, "It might be safer to ask what didn't she do."

Todd put on an attentive expression and Trish grinned before she started recounting numerous innocent pranks that Diane had dreamed up. Many had occurred before I came along, so I was one of the ones who was stifling laughter to keep from waking Diane.

I heard the occasional snicker or muffled laughter from the second level deck that the Messengers favored when visiting Sanctuary. Ace was amused and Todd was at his wits end to keep from rolling off his chair as he tried to keep from laughing loudly.

The wind blew a cold breeze along the cliff. Trish shivered and ensured that no drafts bothered Cathy. We all glanced at Diane. Her light clothes were meant for the warm spring sun while working, not the cool of a spring evening. I glanced at Ace, but he was deep in thought as he looked at Diane.