Chapter 118

I climbed up to the highest point of the jungle gym and sat on a cross joint in the ropes. My eyes strayed to where Diane was teaching fighting practice yet again. Ace was helping her. None of those he was teaching could get a touch on him unless he allowed it.

He had been fired two weeks ago, but even before that point, his fighting skills were so good that none of the fired people could get a touch on him. Well, other than Diane of course. It had been a humbling experience for those who thought that simply having Heartfire gave them the advantage over someone who wasn't fired.

Most of those below were from that big group we brought back from the settlement. The ones who wanted to be messengers were pushing themselves hard. They were counting the days until Roland would allow them to get the Heartfire virus.

They had already agreed that they would not go out as Messengers until Roland cleared them as sufficiently trained. That meant that they needed not only fighting skills to survive an ambush or a Swift, but familiarity of common edible plants so they didn't starve, as well as knowledge about bartering and how much something was worth.

They also needed to have Heartfire for at least three months before being released to live out their dream of being a Messenger while being able to use Sanctuary as their home base. They didn't resent any of the rules and were very excited about the training. Every one of them gave it their all when it came to any kind of training.

They weren't the only ones on that crowded field either. Over fifty others were either practicing existing skills or learning new ones. Roland had put in an order for twelve more trucks. He planned to break them into two groups of six. Dave's group was getting one set and someone else was putting together their own group as well. Sanctuary would soon have three trading caravans.

A mechanical squealing noise made me glance over my shoulder towards the cliff. That rock-boring tool was nearly worn out and it was a good thing that Roland had found more to replace it. It was no wonder that the original tools had almost worn out.

We had started carving a few homes on the fourth and fifth ledge, but were mostly expanding the first, second and third ledges as we built more homes. There were finally enough homes for everyone to have their own. We didn't slow down in our building though, not with the slow trickle of newcomers that occasionally returned with Roland on his trips.

Sandy and Ace still resided in our guest rooms since they had no desire to have a home of their own and Diane didn't mind the company. We were rarely inside the rooms unless we were sleeping.

I was somewhat bored up here since the other children were with their parents elsewhere. This close to the cliffs, the meadow was very sheltered from wind, but I could still feel the cold breeze. Snow had appeared a few days ago, but had melted. If it fell again, it wouldn't be melting at this temperature.

I had known winter would return one day. I was very glad that we were in Sanctuary with its shelter and preserved stores of food. Roland had traded for most of our food, but we had supplied all of our own fodder and animal feed. Roland had also traded for several harvesters and other farm tools that could be pulled behind a horse or one of our new solar tractors.

I looked up just in time for a snowflake to hit my nose as it gently descended from heaven. Winter was truly here to stay until spring decided to make its appearance. I knew this winter would be much different from my last one in Bethany Fort.

Oddly enough, the snowflake reminded me of the night I had first spotted Diane from the window of my home. My eyes strayed to the energetic and focused lady who was correcting the form of some people. I honestly couldn't imagine life without her now. As much as I loved Sanctuary, I knew if she left that I would follow.