Chapter Five

Bradley saw the horrified look on my face, and stood up.

"You can't just walk out there!" I grabbed his bicep and pulled him back down onto the couch.

"Someone is out there! If I don't find out who, we're stuck here. Someone could get hurt!" He pulled his arm away and grabbed the door handle.

"Stop!" I screeched and pulled him away. "I don't want to lose you do some maniac!"

Bradleys eyes stared at me blankly and I knew I couldn't win.

After all, I just met this guy.

But it felt as if I'd known him all of my life.

"That's exactly why I'm going." Bradley rummaged through the Librarian's desk and found a knife, probably used for her lunch. It wasn't large and wasn't sharp, but it was something at least.

A noise escaped my throat; it was what sounded like a cry for help mixed with words that had a hard time surfacing.
"Bra-"

"Shhhh..." Bradley hushed me, trying to listen through the door.

"Do you hear something?" I asked.

"The exact opposite, actually," Bradley corrected. 

XXX

I unbelievably convinced Bradley to stay. "What do you think is happening?" I asked as I ran my thumb over the pattern of his jeans.

"I'm not sure," he supplied. "I just really wish you'd let me go check it out."

"What if you got murdered?" I interrogated, half jokingly.

"What if you'd stop making up completely impossible scenarios in your head?" Bradley retorted.

I rolled my eyes and lay my head on his shoulder.

"Can I ask you a question?" Bradley asked, breaking the brittle silence of the stale office.

"Sure..."

"When we get out of here-"

"If we get out of here," I intercepted.

"If we get out of here, will you be my girlfriend?"

I stared up at his deep, rich eyes. They glimmered like precious jewels. "Yes."