Chapter Six

"Seriously?" Bradley seemed surprised by my response.

"Yeah," I smiled back at him.

Before any more words could come out of his mouth, we both heard the laughter.

Bradley quickly wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm just going to call 911." I told him.

"You can't do that!" He shouted.

"Why?"

"What if it's a prank or something?" He was suddenly acting so weird.

XXX

7:21

"It's getting late," Bradley said as he glared at his watch.

"We've heard it 4 times now," I told him, since we'd heard it twice after Bradley started acting weird. "I'm calling the police."

"You can't do that." Bradley's eyes glimmered as they met mine.

"Why not?"

"Because it's a joke..."

"What?"

"See, my friends somehow knew that you would be here this afternoon, and they thought it would be funny to play a little prank. I didn't know you, so I played along. Once I got in here and I got to know you, I didn't want to go through with it, but they set up a timer for each laughter and there's no way to turn it off. It's just a stupid noise machine hidden in the bookshelves somewhere. I'm so sorry."

I could feel my face twisting in rage and growing redder by the second. "I can't believe you! So everything you've said is fake?"

"Not all of it! I really do like you and I want you to be my girlfriend!"

"No way! I'm done!" I stormed out of the office and turned a corner into a row of bookshelves. Suddenly, I felt a large, callused hand over my mouth and everything went dark.