Chapter Ten

My mother stared blankly at my face, then Bradley's, and back to mine.

"I'm kidding!" I burst into laughter, and Bradley joins.

"Leslie!" My mother shouts.

"You were so pissed," my stomach cramped and my eyes watered and I bent over, laughing.

"Yeah! Yeah, I was. You're seventeen!"

"Mom, we aren't getting married. We won't be for a long time. We love each other; we aren't stupid."

"I thought maybe you were pregnant," my mother spoke breathily as she wiped her brow of imaginary sweat.

"Oh stop, Karen," Bradley chuckled. "We're smarter than that."

My mother released a few more puffs of air before relaxing and dropping her hand from over her heart.

"As far are 'what we're up to,' we're just happy," I smile at Bradley.

"I'm glad you're happy," he grinned.

"I'm glad you're happy," I grinned back.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Awww. You guys are cute," my mother interjected.

XXX

3 weeks later

"SUMMER!" I shouted as I jumped into the passenger seat of Bradley's truck.

"Are you ready for the party of your life?" Bradley quizzed.

"Hell yeah!" I screamed as we zoomed to my house.

"You go in my bathroom, and I'll use my mom's," I instructed Bradley as I ran into my house.

"Wait!" He stopped my by grasping my left wrist. I turned and before I could ask 'what' he planted a huge kiss.

"What was that for?" I asked him as I pulled away.

"I just love you."

XXX

"Welcome to the party, dudes!" Bradley greeted his friends as they walked in my front door. "The pool is down the hall, make a right, and out the screen door on the left."

"It's LIT!" One shouted.

"It's gonna be so DANK!" Another shouted.

I cringed.

"Here, babe." Bradley pushed a red solo cup into my right hand. "It'll take the edge off."

I caught a whiff of it and immediately knew it was pure vodka, since my mom had occasionally made cosmopolitans for the two of us on our mother-daughter movie nights.

"Bradley, I'm not sure this is the best of the best ideas. It's my house and I'm in charge if something goes wrong."

"Just a sip. It's get you to relax a bit." He smiled a devilish smile as I sipped the burning liquid. My throat was coated with a thick layer of fire and I gulped water, trying to wash it down.

I can already tell that this is going to be a long night, and Bradley is already tipsy.