11:24 PM

twenty-two
Sage|Vera

Vera collapsed on her bed the moment she kicked off her shoes and peeled off her coat. Her fingers felt cold and stiff, and she could hear Sage shuffling behind her as she tried to pull some blanket over her body. She didn't know they would stay out so late and now regretted walking back to the apartment from the movie theater. Apollo leaped on top of her mattress and then on top of her, attacking her face with his puppy smooches. Vera reached to rub his belly, letting out a sigh when she noticed how warm it felt. I missed you too buddy, she thought as she pressed her head against Apollo's, smiling as he tried to hug her with his paws.

Do you want me to turn on the heater for you? I'll also put your shoes away, okay? Sage broke their silence, holding Vera's shoes in one hand and the doorknob with his other. He stood there awkwardly, still in all of his clothing. It was as if he didn't belong. He waited for Vera to nod her head and mumble an 'okay' before he walked over to her closet, setting the shoes inside.

❝Thank you. What's wrong? Get comfortable.❞

This isn't my home, so I like to wait for the host to tell me what I can and can't do.

❝This is your home because I'm here. You're the only one I'll be okay with being here, so don't think of it like that. This can be your getaway home. Whenever you want to run away from your life, come to me. Come here.❞

It took Sage a moment to thank her, his voice sounding like a whisper as he finally opened his mouth and spoke. He still felt undeserving and wondered if he was just the luckiest person alive to bump into a person like Vera. She was too kind to him, and Sage couldn't understand how she was still able to live her days happily with her mother in the hospital, and her father gone. Didn't she feel alone? Lonely all the time? Sage was asking himself so many questions about Vera, knowing that he was unable to answer them. He felt his lips turning and forming a smile at Vera before he stepped out of her room, going to find the thermostat.

It was finally Sage's chance to take a look at the apartment. He walked down a hall of what seemed to be four bedrooms, but the doors were all shut closed beside Vera's. He tried not to take too long, stepping out of the hall and into Vera's living room. There was also a beautiful view here. Windows circled the entire space, revealing New York City's glorious skyline. Stars danced in the black and blue night sky, and Sage couldn't stop himself from walking closer to admire the view. Living on the tenth floor came with its perks. Sage usually saw his neighbors from across the street, or a bird flying past his window. This was something completely different. He was in love with it.

Vera's furniture was three colors: black, white, and gray. Something basic, but elegant. And Sage was sure this was a decision her parents made many years ago. The couch was a dark gray, and Sage grazed his fingers against the white and black throw pillows. They felt cold and somewhat dusty. As if no one sat out here for months, to enjoy this beautiful view and space. Lamps and candles were decorating the entire common area, and Sage was sure this was something Vera had to change often. There was one wall without windows, that had the thermostat he was looking for. He decided to put a temperature of 70 degrees, something that was warm for Vera but not too hot for him.

❝Sage! Can you bring snacks from the fridge?❞ Sage quickly paused when he heard the sound of Vera yelling.

Sure, what do you want? he shouted back, leaving the living room to walk into Vera's kitchen.