Chapter 4 - Hope

"You know, I find it mildly entertaining that you have only been back a couple of days. And yet, you have already managed to get into a fist fight with myself, turn our sister against you, and be so careless that word gets to me about some secret documents." Peter grinned, a deathly grin as he leaned against the doorframe of Ender's quarters.

"Honestly, little brother. I really do not see how people perceive you as being the smartest human being on the planet." He continued.

"Oh I assure you, Peter. They do not see me as such."

"I would not be so sure." He argued. "Unless you are implying that they believe I am instead of you. After all, they would actually be correct by making that assumption."

"Oh I am not", Ender commented. "I just choose not to be as conceded as you."

"Are you really going to reduce this little meeting to name calling? Huh, third?" Peter stooped so low as to call him the old nickname he knew Ender loathed.

At this, Ender furrowed his eyebrows, and rhythmically tapped his fingers against the lounger he was sitting in. It was clear that he did not want to respond. Especially since he knew that the next words that came out of his mouth, if any at all, would be ones that he would wish to take back.

"Speechless?" Peter laughed. "I figured." He stepped further into the room without any opposition from Ender, and continued. "You see, I don't know if you are aware of this, but I have been keeping an eye on everything you have been doing. Since we last spoke of course. And I have to admit, you have been busy little brother."

"Clearly you are not", Ender retorted. "Or else you would not waste your time with me."

"Ah, but you see. You are what keeps me busy. Since you arrived, we have entered a bit of a break period in the war. For whatever reason, the Warsaw Pact has stopped advancing, and this leaves us a window. To attack of course, and plan."

"I am well aware."

"No, I do not think you are." Peter pointed at his brother with an index finger. "While the Kernels, and Mazer Rackham, even in his old age, are making plans, you, Ender, have been having rendezvous with Hyrum Graff. About what? That is what I am here to find out."

"Then you will leave disappointed." Ender crossed his arms.

"What? Are you going to tell me it is classified? Because I know that is a load of bull shit! If it was classified, there would be more people involved other than you and the puppet master. I am not stupid, Ender." Peter grimaced. "Which is why I think it has everything to do with your long lost girlfriend."

Ender could not help but roll his eyes. "Petra was never my girlfriend."

"But you wanted her to be." Peter was so close to Ender now, that they could feel the warmth of each other's breath. "You want to know what I think?" Peter lowered his voice to a whisper.

"I think that you are planning on devoting your time here to her, and that will make it even easier for me to rip the power you have away." A malicious look appeared on his face, as he knew he had drawn a line.

Ender's expression completely changed. First, Peter thought his brother would be full of rage, but as he examined the fine details he realized that it was anguish.