Chapter 24 - Waking Nightmare

Her condition went from bad to severe within a few minutes. The monitors could only alert us when the damage started to affect her vitals. There was no way we could've known otherwise.

A soft wind blew toward a patch of large oak trees, causing the leaves to rustle as the gust went by. The sun shone brightly on the freshly cut grass that was already trampled from the continued exploration of small feet. Birds chirped in the distance, creating a sense of peace around the yard, and Ender felt happy.

He leaned over the wooden deck, his focus on the two young children playing in the sand box below. One a young girl with dark brown hair, another a young boy with blonde. Blonde like Ender's.

There were unforeseen complications. Blood clots formed in her lungs, and legs as a result of the hip surgery.

"It's time for lunch, you two!" Ender called out to them.

The little girl looked up at him through dark lashes. "Just five more minutes! Please!"

We did everything we could. There was nothing more we could do.

Ender smiled at her, immediately giving in to the little girl's pleas. "Oh alright. Go ahead."

The two children audibly celebrated before getting back to work on their sand creation. To Ender, it resembled a poorly shaped volcano.

Another gust of wind blew his hair into his eyes, but before he could move it out of the way himself, a hand appeared. It was deliberate, delicate, and warm as the fingers gently glided along the skin of his cheek. Ender turned around with a smile.

Couldn't you have tried anything else?!

"You know I had that." He nudged his companion with his elbow, as she enveloped him in a hug.

"As successfully as you got our children to come inside for lunch?" Petra joked, and Ender's smile grew bigger.

"Well forgive me if I was a little distracted. It's a beautiful day. I don't blame them for wanting to stay outside."

Both her left leg and hip were compromised in the accident. It was a miracle that she was recovering like she was.

Petra laughed at his response, a warm melodious laugh. It made Ender's heart swell with joy.

"Ender Wiggin." She hummed. "When did you turn into such a softie?" She turned around in his grasp, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I'm not soft." He smiled as he leaned his face down toward hers. "I just know when they'd rather have some fun." He brought his lips down onto hers, both of them smiling into their kiss.

Her age prevented the inevitable from happening sooner, but we were naive to think she would pull through.

Petra's lips were soft, just as they'd always been. And Ender relished the feeling of having her in his life. This was how it was supposed to be. After everything horrible that happened he had finally gotten free, and he was able to bring Petra with him.

You told me she was going to be fine! You said she was going to make a full recovery! You promised!

Ender, calm down.

"Eeeewww!" A hymn of childish disgust came from below. Petra broke their kiss with a laugh before leaning over the railing to stick her tongue out at their children.

"Maybe if you'd come up for lunch, we would be too busy stuffing our faces with sandwiches to do it again."

NO! How could you do this?! You were supposed to save her! You were supposed to bring her back to me! I needed her to–