Chapter 5 - The Game Plan

The smell of dust lingered in the air of the B conference room, as Ender, whom was the only one currently occupying the space; faced the wall opposite the long boardroom table that took up almost the entire room.

Before Ender had been back on Earth, the Generals, or the squadron captains as Ender preferred to call them, had developed a meeting schedule. These meetings were obviously led by Peter of all people. Yet, Ender decided that today was as good as any to make himself known to the rest of the Command Base. Especially since this meeting is the first scheduled one happening post his arrival.

Silence followed, as Ender sat. The cold, cement wall becoming his only companion. If this is going to work, he thought to himself. These so called experts will have to do things entirely my way. And if it is even remotely possible, without any of Peter's ridiculous input. Ender laughed at that last part. Since, he knew very well that there was no way Peter would be silent about this. It was not in his nature after all. Nor, was it in any of the Wiggins.

Footsteps clacked against the floor of the hall, signalling to Ender that the meeting was approaching. Yet, only one person pushed open the heavy metal door, its hinges scratching against the doorframe.

A light laugh followed as the individual had a seat. Ender did not even bother to turn around. He knew exactly who it was.

"Somehow I knew you would have taken my seat already." Peter's voice was more anti-climactic than anything, and Ender only grinned despite his attempt at trying to remain professional.

The truth was, he was still 16 and even he sometimes forgot that. But now that he had finally been able to take something away from Peter, he was happy to say the least.

"Going to talk dear brother? Or are you just going to continue sitting there with your back faced towards me?"

Ender huffed, swivelled himself around from his position, and saw that his hearing had proved him right. Peter was the only one there, and he just so happened to be seated directly at the other end of the table. Peter smiled as Ender came to face him, and it seemed genuine. However, the familiar glare of his emerald eyes burned into Ender's skull. They seemed almost playful, daring him to make a move. But Ender was not willing to take a chance by saying anything rash in the middle of a room bombarded with cameras. Cameras that sadly, Hyrum Graff would not be watching.

"I hope you are ready to get a new assignment." Ender smiled just the same. "I think you'll find this one rather satisfying to your violent soul."

Peter only rolled his eyes, and did not get the chance to reply before everyone else started to file in.

Almost all of the Generals immediately noticed that Peter was no longer in charge, and it looked as though some were taken aback by Ender's appearance all together. They had been told that the 'child murderer' had been sent to govern an uninhabited Bugger world after all. Not that he was going to be their commander.

Ender could of sworn that a couple of them looked starstruck, and almost did not believe it. Though, seeing Peter's face contort into looks of disgust was all the proof he needed.

That was not the thing that surprised him however. Sure, Ender was definitely used to being fawned all over by now. So that was beginning to be everyday behaviour.

Yet, just as he thought that the last General had made their way inside the door, another, very familiar face, stepped into the room. Ender had to take a double take, and involuntarily rose from his seat causing the eyes that were not already watching him, to do so.

"Han tzu?", Ender said his name for the first time since he had been in Command School. Though, he sounded a bit unsure, as if the young man who had just come in was not real.