Chapter 16 - A Brother and a Problem

"Petra?! Can you hear me?"

Ender had the young woman's face carefully tucked into his chest, as he brought her out of the Battle Room with the help of Bean and Dink.

They re-entered the controlled gravity environment, and the two soldiers let her go once Ender got a better grip. None of the three boys knew how it happened, having been frozen and aimlessly floating around when the incident occurred, but all of them were definitely worried. Ender most of all.

The only thing he could do was concentrate on her face, as he made his way as quickly down the corridor as he could. He held her, bridal style against him, and as he did, he knew that the rest of his Jeesh were following close behind.

"Petra!" Ender pleaded with her again when she didn't respond, and he quickened his pace. It wasn't an easy thing to do. The flash suits were bulky and awkward on their own, and that wasn't even taking into account the odd pull of the Battle School's gravity. The teens were no longer used to the feeling of always going up that the school caused, and it only made it that much harder for Ender to keep up a good speed toward the medical wing.

Petra's eyes fluttered ever so slightly, and she groaned out in pain. The response made Ender relax slightly knowing that she was alive, and he held onto her tighter. He didn't even want to look at the state of her lower body, and wouldn't dare take a glance. He kept his eyes on her hazel green ones that were just barely open, and persisted on. She needed help and fast. And he was going to get it to her.

* * * * * * * * *

"How are we supposed to know why he went back there?"

Alai turned to look at Han Tzu, who nodded in agreement. They'd spent the last couple of weeks tracking the enemy. Both of them had spent their days sitting in front of an ansible for ten hours at least, making sure the I.F. was up to date with all of the Warsaw Pact's movements, and trying to figure out a successful counter plan of attack.

They didn't have time to know where and what Ender was doing. The last Alai heard, he left with his sister to rescue Petra and Bean from Armenia. Ender told both him and Han Tzu before he left that he would bring them there, but when they didn't show they didn't put too much thought into it. Plans change. Things come up. Focus on the task at hand.

"Aren't you two in his Jeesh?!" Peter looked beyond annoyed.

"That doesn't mean he tells us anything." Han Tzu rolled his eyes a little over dramatically.

It was supposed to be taken as a joke. Alai held in a snicker, but Peter didn't find it one bit funny.

"I don't have time for this!" He said to them both. "I need to get up there to stop my stupid little brother from ruining everything, and you two are coming with me!"

Alai crossed his arms over his chest, and gave Han Tzu a look before looking back at Peter.

"You aren't our Commander. Hell, you ain't even my Mom. And unless your name is Graff, Ender or Hegemon, I'm not doing what you want."

Han Tzu laughed out loud. "Understand, neh? You've been Eemo ever since Rackham left, so clearly you have something to hide. Whatever it is, we don't want any part of it."

Peter clenched his hands into fists at his sides. He needed to stay calm to convince these Battle School pricks to do what he wanted.

"If you come, I'll reunite you with Ender and then you can kiss his ass as much as you want. But I'm asking you two nicely, since I need you to get me into the place." He faked a smile and hoped for the best.