Chapter 22 - The Devil You Know

Dark eyes bore into Graff's very soul as he sat down behind his desk. The older man watched as Ender stayed silent. Watching him.

Even though the young Admiral couldn't speak nearly as much as he wanted, Graff could see the wheels turning in his mind.

"You're lucky you aren't dead." Graff spoke. "What you did was incredibly stupid! Not to mention, you put the fate of the world in jeopardy!"

"I didn't plan it." Ender said hoarsely. "But...I knew what I was doing."

Graff shook his head. He was more than displeased. "And the Launchies? They were gawking at you as if you were an exhibit at a museum! How do you expect to train them in this state?"

"I don't." Graff could of swore he saw the slightest hint of a smile. "I trust Bean."

His answer made Graff almost angry. He'd chosen Ender to defeat the formics for a reason. If he wanted Bean, he would've chosen him instead. It was as simple as that.

"If you weren't already injured," Graff started. "I swear to you, I would give you some pain to deal with for this insolence!"

Ender hummed in contemplation, then shifted slightly in his seat. "On to more...important matters, now?"

The boy knows me too well. We both know I would never do such a thing. He thinks I'm stalling what's pressing because I don't know what to do! How absurd! Graff scolded himself. Even injured, Ender was constantly in others minds. This proved how much they needed him for this fight.

"If Bean is training the upper level Launchies, and some of the other command school students are teaching the others, you better hope you're healed enough to lead them when they're finished."

Ender nodded in understanding. Graff wouldn't say it out loud, but he hated the choppy conversation. Ender was always very eloquent, and around him he made no exception. This just wasn't normal.

"And as for planning the attack. We need your brother's help with that. He's the only one who knows where all of the Warsaw Pact bases are. If we get that information from him, we'll know where to hit."

Graff watched as Ender's face contorted. It was obvious that the young admiral doubted that this plan would work.

"We're not going to get you to convince him." Graff added. "Your sister has agreed to negotiate on the I.F.'s behalf. If your brother cooperates, we are prepared to pursue a lighter sentence."

"What?!" Ender's exasperation sounded terrible. He couldn't help the outburst at the news of his brother possibly getting let off the hook.

Graff rose a hand at him. "I know! I don't like it any more than you do. But the information your brother has could be what enables us to win this war."

Silence ensued for a couple of moments before Ender nodded his head. Graff knew he would listen to logic over emotions any day. Despite his injuries having been driven by a lack of emotional control, Ender almost always calculated everything based on the pros and cons of the outcome. In this instance, the pros outweighed the cons.

"Okay." He finally said. "But I want to be there to watch what he says."

"I'll be making sure things go smoothly in another room using the security cameras. You're welcome to join." Graff said this sincerely. "Your brother won't be able to lay a hand on your sister. The guards will make sure of that."

Once again, Ender nodded at him but Graff didn't think that Valentine's safety was why Ender wanted to watch. He could see that it had everything to do with observing Peter. Valentine could take care of herself.