Chapter 9 - Tragedy

"This is Admiral Wiggin. I have completed my task, and will be departing for the base once my ship comes online."

Ender's voice echoed within the plane, as he held a long distance military walkie-talkie to his mouth. His expression was timid and expressed his desire to continue with duty, but despite how hard he tried, he was becoming increasingly aware of the emotions spiralling out of control within his mind.

On the outside, Ender knew that all three of his party could see his composure, but as he turned away from his message, he began to feel weightless at the pure sight of his recovered friends. It was unbelievably fortunate that him and Valentine had found them there, and Ender chose to believe that for maybe just once, someone in the sky was looking out for them. Don't get me wrong, Ender was by no means a believer in Christ, but it comforted him to think about an external force in this situation.

"Do you think he got your message?" Valentine walked up beside her brother, and asked.

He nodded, acknowledging her question but she could tell that his attention was not on her at all. For the first time, she realized how much he had been focusing in on Petra. He had been with her almost the entire time since they found them, but now, as the young woman whom Valentine had just formally met, slept on one of the couches, she could see Ender intensively gazing in her direction.

"Why don't you just go over there?" Valentine whispered, and nudged her brother.

He immediately gave her a look, and she involuntarily laughed. She found it entertaining to finally see him vulnerable for once, and she found it even more so knowing that it was because of a girl.

"I don't want to wake her," he whispered back to Valentine. "She looks like she needs the sleep." He then gestured toward the other boy they had rescued. "Bean needs it too."

Valentine nodded, and after looking at her brother's composed expression once again, she walked over to the controls.

Ender did not bother to follow her since as soon as she got there, his walkie-talkie started beeping.

"This is Admiral Rackham", it said on a very static signal. "Ender, can you read me?"

"I am here." He did not waste any time before he responded. "Do you have any news?"

The walkie was silent for a moment before Ender got an answer. "Your message has been received, and we will be preparing for your arrival."

A long silence followed, as Ender knew there was more. He could always tell when Mazer was keeping something quiet. The lack of communication became annoying, so Ender persisted.

"And?" He said simply.

More silence.

"Admiral?" He asked full of curiosity. "Mazer?!"

Ender heard scuffling from the other side, and an uneasy feeling rose from the pit of his stomach.

Finally, there was a response. "If you must know, it is Peter. He has seemed to be more of an issue than we thought."

Ender sighed at this, and dreaded what Mazer would say next.

"He has been attempting to gather separate forces of his own, and his most recent attempt at recruiting was one of your friends."