Chapter Nine; The Forgotten Prodigy

Chapter Nine

It's been a few days now since Kashiya had joined Shiratorizawa in training and had defeated their super ace. It's also been a few days since Tsukishima had protected her on their way home. She was still getting flustered when she thought about that. She hadn't thought that he would act like that towards her.

With a yawn she leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. She still hadn't come up with a perfect Shiratorizawa-counter training schedule. She knew that if the boys would stay with that, that there would be a great chance of meeting Shiratorizawa in the finals.

She'd been working late on it every night. As long as she still had the training of Shiratorizawa mesmerized, along with the schedule she made for them, she'd have the time to work on a countermeasure. She did say that they'd have the plan by the end of the week. They didn't have to know that she had the plan finished already.

Then she felt her phone buzz in her pocket, twice. Kashiya sighed and opened her eyes, pulling her phone out and checking the messages. One from Kuroo and one from Tendo.

Cheshire Cat: How's my Kitten doing? ;)

Bokuto Nr2: Wakatoshi-kun is still angry he lost against you, thanks ;-;

Kashiya giggled at Tendos message. For the past days he had kept her updated on how Ushijima was 'recovering' from his loss. Yesterday Tendo had told her, that Ushijima took them on extra hard in a match at the end of practice. That clearly showed how pissed her was.

That's when she remembered something and looked up at the clock.

Kitten: I'm doing good, Cheshire Cat. Late for training but good.

Kashiya quickly got to her feet and stuffed her things together. She had totally forgotten the time.

Prodigy-chan: Aww, poor you, don't die during practice ;)

Bokuto Nr2: So meannn T-T

Prodigy-chan: I gtg, thanks fro reminding me that we've got practice now!

Bokuto Nr2: Did prodigy-chan forget she has practice?( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Prodigy-chan: Shut it redhead, get to practice yourself!

Bokuto Nr2:( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

With a sigh Kashiya turned her phone on silent again and stuffed it away, rushing to the girls locker room, where she got changed quickly, before then rushing into the gym. There she found the boys gathered around, whispering. "Just because Coach Ukai isn't here, doesn't mean that you can sit around and do nothing." She stated loudly for them all to hear.

"Kashiya-chaaan!" Nishinoya and Tanaka yelled, jumping up and running over to the first year "You're in the Volleyball Monthly!" Frowning, Kashiya headed over to her brother, who held the magazine in his hands, the others gathered around him.

They looked up when she arrived. Somehow, nobody dared to say a thing. Probably because they feared whatever reaction she might have to what was in the article. That's when Daichi said "Okay guys, let's get running!" A few yes'es were heard and the boys scurried off, following Daichi.

Asahi got to his feet and looked at his little sister. Kashiya couldn't really tell what it was in his look. He just silently handed her the magazine, before following the team. Kashiya then went to the side over to where Hitoka and Kiyoko stood.

Kashiya sat down beside them and then looked at the magazine. She was on the front page. A picture of her from her junior high days, a trophy in her hands which they had won at the Interhigh-Preliminaries. In the picture she was smiling brightly, holding the trophy up high. Tears of joy were seen in her eyes and a few strands of hair were falling into her face.

A faint smile found its way to the younger Azumane's lips as she remembered that day. How hard they fought and what they've achieved. Then she looked at the title. The forgotten prodigy returns! Then it said on which page the article was, added with the line Will she climb back to the top? Kashiya took a deep breath, before then turning to the page and beginning to read the article.

A few days ago, a video began to course through the net, filmed at Shiratorizawa Academy. A three on three match, the super ace Ushijima Wakatoshi against the Empress Azumane Kashiya.

Two years ago, the empress vanished from sight after a horrific injury during a match at the nationals. Her team, Ryoko Junior High, barely managed to win that match without their captain, but in the next they were bitterly crushed, heading back to their home in the Miyagi Prefecture without their captain, as the young prodigy had to stay in the Tokyo Hospital.

Back then, Azumane Kashiya had broken her shoulder and what we know, she had to go through surgeries. Ever since then we haven't seen the Empress on the court again, but nevertheless were we able to identify her as the opponent last Tuesday to surprisingly beat Ushijima Wakatoshi in a three on three match.

Azumane Kashiya is known as the Empress of the court, her accuracy being able to help every team to the top. But as it seems, she isn't a member of Shiratorizawa Academy. Instead, the Empress had chosen to go to Karasuno High School, another school in the Miyagi Prefecture who have gotten the title of the 'Flightless Crows' or 'Fallen Champions', who we have seen before in the Interhigh Preliminaries, where they've lost a match against Aoba Johsei (1:2 / 15-25, 25-23, 31-33). Those scores let us think, that they might not be worthy of the title 'Fallen Champions' or 'Flightless Crows' any longer, especially now with Azumane Kashiya on the team as their assistant coach.

We certainly look forward to this season.

There were a few pictures of her in the match against Ushijima. She asked herself how they been got to know this. Who leaked this information? Who filmed this match? She just stared silently at the article, her face expressionless, making the others worry a little about their assistant coach.

Then the younger Azumane got to her feet, dropping the magazine to the floor. She gave the boys a stern gaze and said "We're starting with receives. Tsukishima and Hinata, you're the first ones to receive. The others, stand on the other side, Sugawara and Kageyama will give you tosses. Until you've properly received a spike, you have to stay receivers. When you receive one properly, the person who spiked is the new receiver."

The boys nodded and then Daichi called "Let's go!" Again, yelling.