Princess Lilah - Short Story

(Random short story I wrote, hope it's not too confusing!)

Lilah watched as the knights fought for her hand. What a brutal way to propose, she thought fleetingly. She had seen too many Knight Battles to be phased when one killed the other, however. In all honesty, no matter who died, she was not planning to accept the proposal.

The Red Knight took his sword and struck the Blue Knight through the heart. Countless people gasped, mothers covered their children's eyes, but the royal family simply applauded. The Blue Knight was simply an obstacle, a criminal who would have been executed soon anyways. The Red Knight walked gallantly up the carpeted steps to greet Lilah with a low bow.

"Your Highness, it would be my great honor to ask for your hand in marriage," he said in a voice much gentler than his appearance. He removed his helmet, revealing a young boy with red-brown hair and very dark blue eyes.

"What do you call yourself?" Lilah wondered, intrigued in the young knight.

"You may simply call me Red, princess," the knight responded.

"Well, Red, you have certainly proven yourself. Perhaps I will accept your proposal." the young princess replied, decidedly. "Meet me at the castle tomorrow evening, when I should have made my decision." Red smiled, nodded, and left the arena. Once the people had, too, left the arena, Princess Lilah followed her parents back to the castle. Red doesn't stand a chance, she laughed to herself. If Hunter fulfills his promise I shall be happy.

"Lilah," the King called, "That was a very courageous young man. You would do well to consider his request." The Queen agreed. But Lilah shook her head.

"Father, I have made my decision. You, too, shall know tomorrow evening." And with that, Lilah ran off through the castle to the courtyard on the other side of the walls. She dusted off her dress and fixed her hair, straightening her crown in anticipation for this meeting. Slowing to a walk, she headed to the stone gazebo at the far end of the courtyard, concealed by trees. She finally reached it, and sighed when she found it empty. Perhaps he is running late, she reasoned. This had happened before, after all. She sat down on the grey bench, her rose pink dress hitting the floor. Father would kill me, she mused. She laughed to herself. Her father would disapprove of many things she's done.

The sun had begun to set, and Lilah watched it sadly. Where was he? She looked around for a few more minutes before she stood up to leave. I guess he has forgotten, then. She blinked back the tears fated to stain her face.

"Lilah!" She turned slowly to see a blonde boy approaching her with a white rose in his hand. She smiled wide.

"Oh, Hunter, I had begun to think you wouldn't come at all!" she cried, running forward and enveloping the boy in a hug, which he returned heartfully. She pulled back and frowned. "Why are you so late?"

"I... Well, there are a few things I'd like to talk to you about," he disclosed. He motioned for her to sit down again on the bench, and he joined her. He passed her the single rose, and she took it, smiling again. All her worries subsided when she was with Hunter, and she could be herself without worrying about acting like a princess.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I don't think... I'm not sure this is working out, Lilah," he whispered. She inhaled sharply.

"What do you mean?" Lilah asked, afraid to hear his response.

"I'm from the village and you're a princess," he shrugged, "It was never going to work out."