Chapter Two

Paige's POV

  "Good morning, Paige." My mom said while doing the dishes. I stopped and stared at her from our living room, I let a single tear run down my cheek. "Paige sweetie! It's going to be okay." She dried her hands then hugged me.

  "No mom, not after what happened to Gavin. I can't do this. I hate District Four!" I let more tears slip from my eyes.

  "Honey, look at me." I glanced up to meet her eyes. "I know you miss Gavin but I need you to be strong for me, okay? You're going to be fine no matter what happens, I love you. Now go get your nice clothes that I laid out for you in the bathroom, take a bath too then I will do your hair."

  "I'm not a little girl anymore, I can do my own hair!"

  "Okay, can you tell Josh and Brooke that their nice clothes are in the living room?" Just then a crying Josh came inside.

  "Josh sweetie, I thought you had to work at the market today until the reaping?"

  "They l-let me g-go home early." He stammered.

  "Come here and give your momma a hug!" She said with open arms. "It's going to be okay."

  "Mom before I get into the bath, can I go and see May?"

  "Sure. Be back soon."

  "Mommy I don't want to do this again!" I heard Brooke yell from the bathroom.

  "Sweetie, it's your last year!" I heard my mom yell as I walked out my front door.

May is my best friend. She's fourteen. You see, Gavin was my best friend, honestly we were inseparable. May is Gavin's little sister. Gavin was only sixteen when he died last year. Gavin died in those sick games called: The Hunger Games.

Ever since Gavin died I have basically broke. I used to be strong and knew every year I was not going to be picked, until Gavin was picked last year. Now almost every night I have nightmares about the reaping, and now today I have to do it once again. I worry about May, I worry about Brooke, I worry about Josh.

  "Hey, May." I said as I walked up to the short blonde haired girl.

  "Hey."

  "Maybelle! You have five minutes outside!"

  "Okay, mother!" She turned and looked me in the eye. "Paige, I'm so scared." She broke down into tears.

  "Hey, it's going to be okay. I promise you're going to be okay."

  "You promise?" Looking into her eyes was like looking into an Innocent puppy eyes.

  "I promise, I won't let anything happen to any of you."

  "Maybelle, mother wants you inside now to get ready." May's little sister, Sydni, said. Sydni is twelve so it's her first year in the reaping.

  "Bye, Paige. See you at the reaping."

  "Bye."

                                                                    Maddie's POV

  "Hey, Maddie! Lets head in, reaping's in an hour or so!" My sister, Mackenzie said.

  "Yeah, that's enough hunting for one day and I'm super excited for the reaping!" I said sarcastically.

  "Can't wait to see which losers' are getting picked today!"

  "Kenz, you know I was being sarcastic, right?"