Chapter Seven

Paige's POV

I woke up to a canon going off. I jumped up and looked around, making sure everyone was safe. Maddie and Nia woke up too.

"Wake everybody up, make sure they're okay." I demanded.

"Over here!" Nia shouted.

We all made our way over to Chloe.

"T-T-Tell C-Clara m-m-mom a-and I l-love h-h-her." She stuttered before she closed her eyes. Another canon.

"No! Chloe, don't die! Not you too! Please!" Maddie cried.

"Maddie, we should get moving." I sniffled.

"Yeah, you're right." She sucked her tears back and left some flowers by Chloe.

We traveled slowly until we stumbled across a small stream. I jumped into the water and drank until I heard a small scream coming from down stream. We immediately ran to see what was going on.

"I'll stay here." Nia said.

As we slowed down, we saw district twelve, Andrew Blane, was in a fight with district seven, Paul Lockett. Andrew had a sword and Paul had nothing. It ended quickly with a canon going off. Andrew tried to celebrate but fell to the ground with an arrow to the head, another canon.

District twelve, Caitlynn Walters ran to Andrew but received an arrow to the chest. She gasped for air as she fell to the ground, another canon.

Maddie and I took cover behind a rock as district six, Calista Lynn ran out behind a tree with a bow and arrow.

"I got her." Maddie smirked as she grabbed an arrow of her own and aimed. You guessed it, another canon.

"I'm going to go an grab her arrows."

As she walked over I set my spear down to relax.

"Paige, look out!" Maddie screamed.

I turned around and moved over just in time. A sword, that just missed my heart, entered through my shoulder. I whimpered in pain.  I looked up to see Nia.

"You trader." I said in anger.

Before she could remove the sword, an arrow whizzed by my ear, barely nipping it, and entered her chest. Her eyes began to widen as she fell to her knees.

I grabbed my spear and ended her suffering by sending it through her chest. She whimpered and fell to the ground. Another canon.

"Are you alright?" Maddie asked as she ran to my side.

"Thank you. You basically saved my life." I smiled.

"No, I-"

"Whoa! Are you okay?" Maddie jumped at the sound of a male voice. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you guys. I'm not going to hurt you either, I swear." He dropped his sword and put his hands up.

"Who are you?" Maddie asked.

"Asher Dawson, district three." He stated. Asher had shaggy blonde hair which was caked in dirt and blood. He had dull blue eyes and a cheeky smile.

"How many people have you killed?" Maddie asked.

"One, but I swear it was only because he attacked me first!" He said innocently.

"Okay."

"Um, if you don't mind me telling you, I think your friend is bleeding out." He said referring to me.

He was right. I was getting dizzy from the loss of blood from my shoulder.

"Shit." Maddie mumbled.

"Here, I have wrap in my pack." Asher said coming closer.

"I swear if you try anything I will rip your head off." Maddie growled.

"I promise I won't." Asher promised. "Here's the wrap."

Maddie gently applied the wrap to my shoulder.

"Paige, you should rest. You can too, Asher, if you want. I'll take watch."

"Sure." I mumbled.

"Thank you." Asher said.

Asher laid down next to me and smiled.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Get some rest, beautiful. You're gonna need it." Before I could respond, he turned over to sleep. I hear another canon before I drift off.

I woke up to the sky lighting up.

District six, Calista Lynn.

District seven, Paul Lockett.

District seven, Chloe Lukasiak.

District nine, Rose Luther.

District Ten, Nia Frazier.

District Twelve, Andrew Blane.

District Twelve, Caitlynn Walters.

Seven dead. Eight left.