Chapter Four

Paige's POV

  "Hey, I'm Paige." I said to the boy who also was picked, Tyler.

  "I know." He said shyly.

  "You're Tyler right?"

  "Yeah." He was really scared.

  Right now we are on the train, on our way to our training. We have two mentors, Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason.  Tyler and I have both met them but I hung around with them longer, they told me to go and try to get along with him. 

  "How old are you?"

  "Sixteen."

  "Me too." I gave a smile but he wasn't paying attention. "So, are you okay?" His attention turned away from outside and now to me. His jaw tightened.

  "Is that even a real question anymore? How can anyone be okay when the Games are still going on? Nobody's okay, so no I'm not okay." I didn't mean for him to flip out on me. "Let me ask you this. Are you okay?"

  I thought about this for a minute, I thought about Brooke, Josh, May, my mom, my dad. A single tear ran down my cheek. "No."

  "I didn't think so." He gently pressed his thumb against my face and wiped the tear away.

  "Thanks." We sat in silence, not an awkward silence though.

  "Guys, we're here." Johanna and Finnick came through the door.

  "Remember, look tough and give your best smile." Finnick showed us a smile full of white teeth that was gorgeous. "Try to make as many allies as possible. When we train you, I will train Paige and Jo will train Tyler." Tyler and I both nodded.

  We walked into a room and saw some weird looking people.

  "Paige, Tyler, meet your stylists'."

  "Hello, your names?" I asked.

  "No names just looking fabulous." What's up with the weird accents?

  Finnick and Johanna pulled me over to where they were standing.

  "Yes?" I asked.

  "Don't make allies with Tyler." Finnick said.

  "What? Why?"

  "Because, we know what you are capable of, Paige. Tyler will just slow you down." Johanna said.

  "I'm not capable of anything! I think we all know that I'm not going to make it anywhere! I have no experience with any weapon."

  "You are capable of a lot of things, you just don't know yet. You and Tyler get one day of training with us before you have training with the other tributes, I am going to make you unstoppable."

  "What if I want to allie with Tyler?"

  "You're not going to, we will tell you who to allie with after training."

  "Whatever."

  I walked back over to where Tyler was standing, he looked clean.

  "What happened to you?"

  "They cleaned me and it's your turn."

  "Oh great."

  They walked me into a room, to many rooms today.

  "Lay down, this table." They pushed me onto a table.

  "Geesh."

  It didn't take long for them to clean me. Before I knew it I was with Tyler again.

  "Time for clothes. Boy, with me. Girl, with her."

  She sat me on another table, she was in front of me picturing what to put me in. I'm guessing they wanted to have the same style as last year, I had a net covering my top and bottom area plus a crown made out of net. Tyler just had net covering his bottom. We were ready for the openening ceremonies.

  We got into our chariot and waited for our District to be called. Our horses started to walk out, the sun was blinding. I glanced over to Tyler who still looked terrified, I grabbed his hand and gave it a little squeeze. I can't believe they want me to ditch Tyler, I don't think that's fair. He's so sweet and inoccent, then again he might be faking it. He could be trying to trick me. I don't know, I guess we will find out in a couple of days.

  "You guys did great! You looked great but you didn't smile, didn't I say to smile!?"

  "Sorry, Finnick." I replied.

  "If we hurry back, we might have time to train before dinner." Johanna said.

  "Sure, Johanna."

  "Just call me Jo."

  "Okay."

  "What do you think, Tyler?" Tyler just nodded.

  "Well then, lets go!"

  I get that Tyler is scared but he should atleast talk. I can't wait to see the other tributes, well not really. I hope I find some allies.

  "Okay, Paige, come with me, Tyler you go with Jo."

  "Okay." I replied.

  "So Paige, do you have any expierence with anything?"

  "No."

  "Okay, well what weapon would you like to learn? I'm very well trained with a trident, Katniss taught me good with a bow, and a knife isn't hard to learn how to throw."

  "Um, how about all?"

  "All? Damn girl, okay. Lets start out with a knife?"

  "Sure."

  "So, you grip it here." He said gripping a knife by the blade. "Then you aim, reach back, flick, and hope for the best, like this." He threw the knife at a target a few feet away. He hit it perfectly.

  "Good job!"

  "Thanks, now you try." I grabbed a knife and gripped it the way he showed me.

  "Like this?"

  "Perfect. Now aim." I aimed for the target.

  "Good, now reach back and flick!" I did as he told, the first one went above the target but the second one was right on!

  "Great job! One more time!" I threw it one more time and bulls eye, again!

  "Good! Now we will do a spear then dinner."

  "Kay."

  "All you have to do is pretend like you're throwing something but not actually letting go, unless you need to throw. Like this. Now you try." I did as he told.

  "You're a natural! I told you!"

  "Thanks! Lets go get some dinner!"

  "I'm not really hungry, I'm going to get some sleep."

  "Okay."