Chapter Eight

Paige's POV

I woke up to three canons. Three! Only five left, including Maddie, Asher, and I.

We didn't really do anything all day, except talk. We found a hole in the ground and took cover there. Maddie went out to get water, which left Asher and I.

"So, beautiful, how'd you sleep?" He asked sweetly.

"Fine." I smiled. "Why do you keep calling me that?"

"Because you are." He smiled back.

"Oh."

"I think you're incredible."

"How old are you?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Seventeen. How about you?"

"Sixteen."

"Can I kiss you?" He blurted out.

"Excuse me?" I laughed.

"C-Can I kiss you?" He asked again while biting his lip.

"Um-" Before I could finish my sentence he reached over and placed his lips onto mine. Wow. I hesitated but soon I kissed him back.

"Um, what'd I miss?" Maddie cleared her throat.

"Oh, um, nothing." Asher and I say in unison.

"Whatever." Maddie joked. "You guys are totally cute." She smiled.

"Thanks." He smiled as I blushed.

I have to admit, Asher is insanely cute when he bites his lip because he's nervous.

The rest of the day went by quick and soon the sky light up.

District three, Leah West.

District six, Logan Ross.

District one Dominick Olivers.

"So, it's us three, plus, district one, Brayden Jones and district nine, Carson Troop. Perfect." I said.

"Yep. Let's get some sleep, I have feeling tomorrow's going to be a big day." Maddie said.

"Goodnight, beautiful." Asher smiled before he kissed my cheek.

"Goodnight." I smiled.

"Get a room, lovebirds." Maddie giggled. We just rolled our eyes.

------------------------------------

I felt someone throw their hand over my mouth. My eyes shot open but I didn't scream. I saw Asher with a knife. I trusted him enough to not freak out. Soon enough he saw me awake and brought his finger to his lips, signaling me to be quiet.

I look up and see Maddie with her bow and arrows by the entrance to our hole. Asher brings his hand up from my mouth and slowly helps me up. He kisses my lips and handed me my knife. I smile at him.

"Someone's up there." He whispered.

"I think we'll be okay. Let's just watch for a while and wait before we go out." Maddie said.

"Good idea." I said.

"How's your shoulder?"

"I think it's okay." I smiled.

"Good." He smiled back. He held out his oddly large hand and motioned for me to grab it. We intertwined out fingers and he scooted closer.

"Actually, I'm going to go get some food. I'll be back later." She winked at me.

"Be careful." Asher warned.

"I will be. Have fun, you two." She smiled before she left.

"Paige, you're gorgeous." He let go of my hand and put his arm around my shoulders, being careful with my bad one.

"You're a cutie." I smiled as I snuggled my head into his neck.

"Paige, I-I...," I could tell he was biting his lip. "I think I like you."

"I think I like you too." I titled my head to look at him. He stared at me with his gorgeous blue eyes and leaned towards me, slowly kissing my lips.

"Guys! District nine, Carson Troop is down by the stream." Maddie said, interrupting our kiss.

"Okay, we're coming." We said getting up.

We walked down to the stream but no one was there.

"I swear he was-" She was cut off by someone gasping.

We turned around and saw Asher on his knees with a sword through his stomach and Carson standing behind him.

"Ash..." I whimpered. "You asshole!" I shouted as I hit Carson across the face with my spear.

He grunted and fell to the ground. I stabbed him in the arm so he couldn't move.

"Ash." I mumbled as I dropped in front of him. "Ash... It's gonna be okay, I promise." I said as a tear slipped from my eye.

"I-I-I'm sorry, P-Paige. I-I know it's only b-been a f-f-few days b-but I-I think I-I-I l-love y-you." He choked out.

"I-I love you, too." Tears spilled down my cheeks. "You're gonna be okay, I promise."

"Paige," he blinked as tears slowly went down his cheeks. "I'll be waiting f-for y-you. You h-have my h-h-h-heart." He closed his eyes as I cupped his cheeks and crashed my lips into his one last time before I let him go. I started sobbing as his body hit the floor.

I got up as I heard the whimpering from Carson. I walked over to him and stepped on his chest as I ripped the spear from his arm, causing him to scream in pain.

"You're going to regret you were even born." I spat.

"I'll leave you two alone. I'm going for a drink down stream." Maddie mumbled.

I shoved the spear into his other arm as he screamed. I grabbed my knife and sat on top of him on my knees. I pressed the knife against his neck and slowly brought it up to his cheek, teasing him.

"Maybe I'll start with your eyes. Maybe I'll start with your.... Fingers." I smiled evilly.

"N-No, please don't!" He begged.

I ignored his pleads as I found his right hand. I traced the knife around his whole hand before I stopped at his pinkie. I slowly sliced it off, making him scream. I continued with all of his finger. I decided to stop being mean, I quickly plunged the knife into his neck, causing a canon to go off.

Three people left.