Chapter Ten

No ones POV

The two girls stood there. Everybody in every district was watching closely; watching anxiously.

"Um, Paige I-" Maddie tried to speak but couldn't.

"You saved my life again." Paige smiled. "Now I think it's time I save yours." Paige stated clearly.

"What are you saying, Paige?" Maddie asked confused.

Paige carefully took out one of her knives and showed it to Maddie.

"N-No, Paige! You're not going t-to kill yourself for m-me!" Maddie cried.

"I have to. I can't kill you! You're my friend, I could never live with you dying and me living." Paige said truthfully.

"No, Paige, just put the knife down, we can get out together." Maddie begged.

"No we can't. After what Katniss and Peeta did, there's no way."

"Paige, don't do it, please."

"I'm sorry. Goodbye, Madison." Paige held the knife up.

"No!" Maddie leaped towards Paige but was to late. Paige had already plunged the knife into her stomach.

Maddie grabbed her shoulders and slowly helped her lay down trying to control her tears.

"Why, Paige? Why?" Maddie cried.

"It's okay..... I'll be..... With Gavin.... And..... Asher...." Paige said in between breaths. "Goodbye, Madison."

Maddie couldn't do anything but cry as she saw the life leave Paige's sparkling blue eyes; they soon turned gray before they completely closed.

Paige knew this is what she had to do. She knew this was the best. She silently said goodbye to her mother, her father, Josh, and Brooke; she prayed they weren't watching her run out of breath. She finally closed her eyes and took her last breath before letting the blackness completely take her over.

Madison sobbed into Paige's, now cold, shoulder as she heard that final canon.