Chapter Six: The Hunt for the Bat

Barbara nervously laughed, trying to maintain a level head. "We need to track Bruce down." she said turning around and walking to the computer.

"Damian. Dick. Tim. The three of you are going to hit the streets. Try and find anything you can on any new gangs starting up. Or anything that seems stranger then usual. Just find something." Barbara said, pulling up feed on the computer.

"Jason. You and I are going here." she said, pulling up a city map with a small, red, blinking bat on the screen.

"What is that?" Jason asked, crossing his arms. Damian laughed and walked up to the computer. "It's a tracking chip. Barbara must have slipped one onto somebody." he said, typing on the computer.

He pulled up a more precise location. "Why are they there?" Dick asked, staring at the screen. Barbara looked at the screen along with the rest of the hero's. "I don't know. But they wont be there long." she said, walking towards the bike.

Alfred then walked up and seen the five of them preparing to leave. "Might all of you like to hear the results to the sample Ms.Gordon had me test?" he asked, catching everyone's attention.

They all looked at him, waiting for some kind of decent news. "There were trace elements of a sleeping agent along with a deteriorating enzyme." he said, bringing shock to everybody.  

"How progressive is the enzyme?" Barbara asked, then being comforted by Damian. "That'll take some more time, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out." Alfred replied, turning around to run more tests.

"Alright. We need to figure out how that water got into the system. Jason and I will investigate after we hit the tracker location. If we need help, one of us will call you three. Now lets go." she said, turning around and walking to the bike.

She stopped and told Jason to wait for her at the bike, then pulling Dick to the side to talk to him. "I need you to slip away and find Selina. I don't know why but I feel like she has a role in this." she said, hugging Dick and holding him tight.

"Don't let Damian know." she said, letting go and walking to the bike where Jason waited. "Knock some skulls boys!" Jason yelled, getting on the bike and watching the other three get in the Batplane.

Barbara walked up to Jason and got on the bike, wrapping her arms around his waste. "We're set." she said in a quiet voice. Jason hesitated and looked back at Barbara. "What did you tell Dick?" he asked.

"Nothing important. Just to be careful. Lets go." she said, holding on tightly to Jason as he sped off, and not far behind; the Batplane carrying the three of the crusaders.

As Barbara and Jason took off, Jason began to question Barbara's motives for everything. "Barbara. We need to talk." he said, cruising down the roads.

Barbara looked at the back of Jason's deep red helmet and wondered what his point was going to be. "What's up Jason?" she asked back confused.

Jason continued to cruise down the streets while talking to Barbara. "Well. It's just. What's your motive to be doing all of this?" he asked, feeling Barbara's grip on him tighten. "What are you talking about Jason?" she asked with slight annoyance in her voice.

"You just seem to be the only one without a reason to be doing this. Bruce's parents were murdered in front of him and so were Dicks. I was killed, brought back to life. Tim was practically raised by Bruce and Damian grew up in this life. But you-..." he said, being cut off by an irritated Barbara.

"How dare you. I have put more time and effort into this job then any of you." she said, now squeezing Jason as hard as she possibly could.

"Look Barbara. I'm not saying you haven't put in that stuff. But why do you do this?" he asked, feeling her hands begin to dig into his sides.