Chapter Seven

...and then...

-----------------

"I need you to take the kids today." Zac spoke, blocking the door to Brielle's office.

He had Abe, who was clearly testing his father's patience, in his arms. Brielle smiled as the little boy grabbed the bill of Zac's ball cap pulling it down over his dad's eyes and giggling. Zac sighed, pushing the hat back onto his head and staring at his wife waiting.

Zac hadn't spoken to her in two days without arguing, not since Brielle had confronted him about not telling her there was a family dinner, one in which she had originally been invited to, but was never told. All she asked of him was to include her, when he could. It seemed to her that her husband didn't want her in his life, unless he needed somebody to yell at or somebody to watch his children.

"Oh, I thought you were going to spend the day with them." Brielle answered standing from her desk chair, opening her arms to Abe who happily climbed into them, leaving his father alone.

The plan Jenna had explained via Zac, was that Zac was going to spend the day with Abe and Junia. He didn't know what they'd do, but he wanted to just enjoy their company. It wasn't as if he was being father of the year and needed to work on being more attentive.

Zac's shoulders sagged. "I had planned to, but Kate called and she wants to have a meeting this afternoon."

"Is it about Shepherd?" Brielle shifted Abe's weight on her hip, giving Zac a sympathetic look.

Rolling his eyes, Zac scoffed. "No, she wants to know how I'm planting our flower beds this year." He snapped, slightly. "Yes, I assume it is about Shepherd. I don't know what she wants; I only know I need to see her."

Brielle nodded, wincing as Abe started to poke her cheeks and giggle. The little boy had some serious built up energy that needed to be released. While Zac was out, Brielle had already made up her mind to take the kids to the park for a few hours. Not bothering to say another word to his wife, Zac ruffled Abe's hair before leaving the two standing in the office.

Packing the kids in the van, while Zac himself was getting ready to leave, Brielle smiled when he took a few seconds out of his time to tell his children he'd see them later. Ruffling Abe's hair and giving Junia a kiss on top of her head, Zac told them both to behave before climbing out of the back of the van and climbing into his waiting truck. Double checking his phone message from Kate to make sure he was in the right place, Zac walked into the coffee shop she had directed him to meet her at.

It was small and practically deserted this time of the day, Zac suspected if she met him in public then it was her way of insuring Zac couldn't freak out at her if things didn't do in his favour. Walking into the building, Zac found a seat close to the door; he wanted to be able to get away from her as soon as possible. Getting a bottle of water, he took into account that Kate was almost twenty minutes late, not exactly working in her odds. Almost half an hour late, Kate walked in spotting Zac immediately. Walking straight over to where her ex husband sat, she took a seat cross the table.

"I didn't think you'd bother to come." Kate informed Zac coldly.

"Kate." Zac's tone was calm yet nowhere near friendly. "Why am I here?"

"Because we need to talk, Zac and you're going to listen." Kate answered, straightening her posture. She stood taller than Zac, and still he was never intimidated unlike the way Brielle was when Kate tried to tower over her.

"Talk, but know now I have nothing to say to you." Zac stated taking a sip from the water bottle that was in front of him.

"That is the attitude that is getting us nowhere with this." Kate scoffed rolling her eyes at her ex husband.