Chapter Eleven

oh Jenna...

-----------------

The mere idea of Kate packing up her children, Zac's children, and taking them away was weighing heavily around the house. It had been a few days since Zac had met with his lawyer, by now his entire family, along with Brielle's knew what was going on. They had sat down to discuss things a little more in depth a few nights ago, Zac hated discussing the situation, Brielle couldn't blame him but they needed to have some sort of a plan. If they wanted to have any chance, he had to have another meeting with his lawyer.

This time Zac didn't go alone, taking some time out of the current project work had assigned her, Brielle tagged along. It was an understatement to say Zac's lawyer was shocked to see his client had actually brought his wife along. Brielle had only met the middle aged man once or twice, she knew he was good as what he did and that was what mattered.

Allowing Kate to take the children had become a very real, very possible situation; although Zac's lawyer was determined he could always make things impossible for Kate to do anything of the sort. Lawyers had to tell their clients what they wanted to hear, in some degree, Brielle sat quietly listening to the options. A few of the choices were less than desirable, but they had to do what they had to do.

Keeping everything the lawyer had told them in mind, the couple left the office, somber and rather quiet. Zac's silence was just something Brielle had become accustom to in the last couple of months. They hadn't spent this much time together in weeks; it was comforting and odd to be in the same vehicle as Zac. Brielle had gotten used to being on her own, or with the kids, and Jenna. As they arrived home, Zac was relieved to see his wife's van was out, meaning Jenna had taken the kids for the afternoon, to do something other than hang out at the house. It worked in their favour, coming home after a meeting like that and being alone.

Zac had gone straight for his music room, Brielle wasn't shocked she knew it was to lose himself, to drown his thoughts. A clear sign he wanted to be alone, Brielle followed him anyway. Gently pushing the door to the room open, she smiled sadly seeing Zac sitting behind his laptop. He had a guitar on his lap as he sat at the table in the center of the room. Looking up, he nodded his head in the direction of his wife, sitting his guitar down.

"Sit." He patted his knee, a rare gesture for Zac these days.

Hesitantly perching on his lap, Brielle chewed her bottom lip nervously. Zac didn't have to say anything for Brielle to know he had been thinking and none of his thoughts were good. He had slight crow's feet around his brown eyes; they had appeared over the last couple of months. Pulling his wife so she sat with her legs slung across his, Zac sighed heavily.

"I don't want to let them go to Kate's this weekend. Is that wrong of me?" Zac looked scared as he spoke. His expression reminded Brielle of a lost little boy, who only wanted to find his way back home. Gently smoothing her hand over the back of his hair, she gave him a wry smile. "I'm terrified she's going to take them and I don't want them away from us for longer than they need to be."

"They're going to be fine. You agreed to just go along with everything as normal, until her lawyer confirms she's moving." Brielle reminded him, sliding her arm around his waist, she rested against his shoulder. "If you start pulling them away, they'll know something isn't right. We don't want to upset them."

"Upset them?" Zac scoffed, resting his arm around his wife's shoulder. "They're going to be devastated when they find out they're moving to a completely different place. They have never been away from me for more than a few weeks at a time."

"I know, Zac." Brielle answered him with a meek tone. "I still think once your lawyer is finished, Kate won't move."

If Zac's lawyer did his job properly and things worked in their favour, it would be almost impossible for Kate to move the kids out of the city, she'd never be able to move them out of the state. Zac's counter offer was to take sole custody; if Kate could play that game then he would too. He agreed to continue spousal support, cutting off any child support, because if things worked out then he'd be the one with all three children and she wouldn't need it. There was no reason to take them away, he was a good father. He could provide for them, he had a stable home life, even his wife was willing to take on three children she didn't have to.