Chapter Twenty Five

oh the things you learn

-----------------

The afternoon sun warmed the late summer day, Brielle sighed happily walking from the garage to the house. Today had been one of the days she had decided to do something for herself, a long deserved shopping trip was what she had come up with. It was rare that Brielle ever went shopping, for herself and she had thoroughly enjoyed it. Zac's truck was been gone, which told her that her husband must have packed up his children and went out for the afternoon, it was great seeing Zac spend this time before his up coming tour with the kids.

In a few weeks her husband would be gone, leaving her and Jenna while the children went to Kate's, only seeing Brielle a handful of times in the three weeks their father would be gone. If Kate let the kids see her while their father was gone, the notion left as quickly as it came. Things just seemed to keep coming, it was as if one thing began to get better so something else had to get worse, Brielle was just used to this pattern now and did the best she could to go with it. Strolling into the kitchen, she set an arm load of bags down on the counter top, Isaac's car had been in the drive way and she wasn't all that surprised to see the eldest Hanson sitting at her table gazing at his phone.

"Hey, Ike." Brielle smiled as he stood and kissed her cheek, pulling a chair out he gestured for her to sit down.

"Busy afternoon?" Isaac asked gesturing to the bags Brielle had sat on the counter top.

Smiling shyly, Brielle bit her bottom lip and nodded, slightly. "I did some shopping." she confessed. "I called to see if Nikki wanted to go with me, but she didn't answer. I assumed she must have been busy."

Isaac shrugged, brushing a hand over his face. He hadn't spoke to Nikki in two days at least, not that Brielle would have known that, unless Jenna had told her. "I uh," he paused. "I haven't seen Nikki."

"Oh?" Brielle prompted.

"We uh, we're getting divorced." Isaac answered firmly. "She didn't know if it would be awkward for everybody else, so she has chosen to keep away for a bit."

"A divorce!" Brielle exclaimed. Talk about things that just kept coming, never in a million years did Brielle see this happening. If the labelled perfect couple got a divorce there was no hope for her and Zac ever making it.

"Sometimes people fall out of love, it happens. You find somebody who you know will suit you better, you can either try and hold on to what you have or let it go. We decided to part; Nikki says there is nobody to blame." Isaac confessed with a small sigh.

Brielle blinked, trying to take in everything that she was being told. It was a lot to process. She had never noticed Isaac and Nikki having issues, Nikki hadn't been around much in the last few weeks, but Brielle didn't see this coming. She had assumed Nikki was busy, or maybe Brielle was busier than usual and they just hadn't been able to keep in touch so easily. Raking her hand through her dark hair, Brielle reached out with her other hand, gently placing it on Isaac's forearm.

"I had no idea." Brielle spoke, her words sounded so rehearsed to her own ears.

"We didn't say anything, but I moved out this week. I managed to find a place, until I can find a house. The kids are with her, we're dividing our time for them. I cheated, I've never acted on my feelings intimately, but I know I'm not in love with Nikki and it isn't fair to string her on." Isaac made his confession, quietly.

"You were cheating? Ike, I..." Brielle stumbled over her words. If Isaac was a cheater, then it left no hope for her and Zac, this was certain now.

Isaac nodded. "I didn't know I was cheating, now I know that sounds as lame as us telling Taylor he's adopted all the time. I didn't realize what I was doing, until a few days ago."