Chapter Thirty Seven

now that I am back from vacation, here is an update :D

-----------------

Being home alone, except for the handful of times she had saw Jenna, was something Brielle would normally enjoy. When Zac was away and the kids were at their mother's it was a time for her to focus on getting things done. She had all the time in the world to put her energy into work, along with other things she enjoyed doing but never seemed to get the time for. This time around it was somehow different.

Brielle had kept busy and yet she was practically counting down the days until Zac was home again. She had saw the kids, picking Junia up for her riding lessons, which seemed to make her miss them even more. An afternoon or two, she had spent visiting various family members and having multiple lunch dates with Luke, still the void was growing. It was the first time, since marrying Zac that Brielle had felt lonely.

Not wanting to come across as needy, she kept her calls to Zac as minimal as possible. When she did get the chance to talk with her husband, Brielle kept him on the phone as long as possible. As cliche as it sounded, surrounded by people, only one person was going to take away the lonely feeling. Since Zac couldn't drop everything and rush home, Brielle did her best to distract herself.

Her current distraction had came in the form of Luke, yet again. He had called and asked her to join him for coffee, mostly because he knew she'd drive herself crazy sitting home. Jenna was there, but had been keeping mostly to herself since Isaac had insisted they take a break. The small cafe that he had picked sat on the edge of a neat little park, it gave a nice view on the late fall morning. An Oklahoma fall could never rival New England in colour, but there was a beauty all its own.

Luke took the chair across the small table from Brielle, handing her a cup of coffee and sitting one in front of him. Gratefully taking a sip of her coffee, Brielle quietly thanked Luke.

"You look like you needed that." he smirked. "Rough night?"

Brielle looked as though she hadn't slept in days, the dark circles under her eyes were growing since Luke had last saw her. She had complained of not being able to sleep and that she hadn't been feeling the greatest.

"Shockingly, no. I slept, but this morning when I woke up it felt like a ton of bricks in my stomach. It passes eventually, I'm sure I'll be fine." Brielle shrugged it off.

"Maybe you're just pregnant." Luke teased winking at Brielle. He knew better than to tease her, but Brielle seemed to be in a head space where a little joking about such a subject wouldn't upset her.

Brielle shook her head, "No, I doubt that is it."

"Would it be that unlikely?" he chuckled. Luke was no expert on pregnancies, nor did he pretend to be, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to tell there was something seriously off with Brielle. It was a lot more than simply missing her husband.

Brielle shrugged. "Not impossible, but I highly doubt it is the reason. It's probably just the stress of work and Zac being gone."

"You should still see the doctor, or take a test at least." Luke encouraged. "How long have you been sick?"

"I haven't been sick." Brielle answered promptly. "I've just been having headaches, I get them when I'm stressed out about things."

Never mind the fact all she wanted to do was sleep, and every time she turned around Brielle felt like she was going to vomit. If she were pregnant, she'd know, besides it was way too early to even tell. Her headaches started a few days before Zac left for tour, it had put a lot of stress on her to have him gone. Feeling sick was probably some way for her mind to cope with everything she had to get done.