Chapter two

It felt like a nightmare, but she knew it was far from that, and she resented it

It felt like a nightmare, but she knew it was far from that, and she resented it. She wished as hard as she could that it was not true, that it was not real, but it was all in vain. She knew it was there, and she knew that they would find a way into the loop soon, they were smarter than anyone gave them credit for, the wights would come again, and this time they would not lose. Deciding she could not sleep any longer, she got up and climbed up the small ladder to the top floor of the tower, where the balcony was. Miss Eagle had entrusted her with the top two floors of the tower room and she was entirely grateful for that. Leaning over the edge of the stone fence that stopped her from falling from the top floor of the house, she smiled as the wind whipped passed her face, tangling in her hair and making her feel a lot calmer. She let out a shaky breath and turned away from the wind, noticing the eagle that was sat watching her, the ymbrynes knew the same thing she did. But the wind was addicting, a sweet nicotine of cold sea air, that attacked her boy with all it's might, but it was her favourite thing, and she was its victim. It took all of her willpower, just to turn away from it again, and even more to allow her to climb back down the ladder.

The moment she arrived in her room, she noticed something, something that she could have sworn wasn't there before. A trapdoor lay in the centre of the room, she knew that it was not there before and it had been covered by something, but why was it uncovered now? Her hand hovered over the ring that would open it, she loved a mystery and she just wanted to know what was down there, but there was something telling her not to do it, so instead she turned and walked to the door, she needed to talk to Miss Eagle. But it still sat at the back of her mind, a mystery was waiting to be solved, and it had come to her, and she had to solve it, it was a must. If she didn't solve it, she surely would go mad, it would plague her, plague with the knowing of the secrets to be discovered, and that she wouldn't be able to know them.

No one else was awake, a thing Jeanette was used to, she woke up hours early then the others, she always had, and she had always thought that she always will, but that wasn't quite true anymore. She was nearly two hundred years old and still scared of the monsters, she was sick of it, but she couldn't help it, but she could fight the monsters. In eight years she would have lived through two centuries, but she resented that, she was too old to keep on hiding. And age changes people, she was reaching the point where she didn't give a damn anymore, she wanted to explore the world, and if that meant killing the things she couldn't see and was completely and utterly scared of, then so be it.

She reached the ground floor in a matter of minutes, she could hear voices from the conservatory, indicating that the ymbrynes were awake. She was, slightly relieved by this, as that meant she could talk about her fears with someone, but she was saddened that it had to be them, even though they were the only people who would understand. Reaching up and knocking on the door, she only had to wait a short time to get an answer.

"Come in." Miss Eagle called. Jeanette opened the door slowly, and entered the room nervously. The ymbrynes were sat on one of the sofas, talking and drinking tea, they were the image of one of the posh women stereotypes. "Ah, Jeanette, what can I do for you?"