Chapter thirteen

Miss Eagle's peculiars entered the workshop, causing Enoch and Jeanette to look at them all in confusion

Miss Eagle's peculiars entered the workshop, causing Enoch and Jeanette to look at them all in confusion. Horace followed after them.

"Either this is an intervention, or you have something to discuss?" Jeanette asked sounding slightly confused, she glanced at Enoch, who shrugged in response.

"Jenny, I don't trust that bird." Casper whispered, starting off the conversation, Alice patted his back comfortingly.

"It reminds me of... him." Cameron muttered in her ear, she jumped, not expecting him to be stood beside her. She looked at him, the same fear that was in her eyes was in his voice.

"I know; I don't think any of us trust her." Jeanette said. everyone nodded in agreement.

"No, I don't trust any of them, no offence." Aimee added, directing the last part of her sentence at Horace and Enoch.

"None taken." Enoch answered with a shrug.

"So what do we do?" Nathan spoke up. Jeanette shrugged.

"I don't know, but I'm not working with the rest of them, if we're going to do this, we do it alone." She said. Enoch nodded.

"I'm with you, so is Horace, neither of us trust 'miss Peregrine'." He stated, Horace muttered something in agreement.

"We should go it alone." Josef decided from his place beside Horace.

"No, there's too many of us, they'll notice for sure." Leo inputted.

"I have an idea." Jeanette said, they all gathered around to listen to her plan, of which included a small group branching off from the others and finding Miss Eagle alone.

"But who will be in the group?" Nathan asked.

"Jenny and I, Enoch, Joe, Horace, Stephan, Mel and Cas." Leo said. There was a murmur across the room, but everyone seemed to agree, well almost everyone.

"I want to go too." Cameron spoke up.

"No, you know as much as Jenny, maybe more, you need to be in the main group, just in case something happens to either group." Leo said, Cameron sighed, but at last agreed.

"Then it's settled, as soon as the opportunity arises, we shall sneak away." Horace said.

"Another thing before we leave, how do we do this?" Aimee asked, earning a shrug from the girl they all seemed to be looking to as their leader.

"We'll figure it out on the way." She answered.

The peculiars left the room, leaving Jeanette and Enoch sat in silence.

"What have we gotten ourselves into?" Jeanette mused aloud.

"I don't know, but it is not going to be easy, is it?" Enoch looked up from his work and gave her one of his small smirks, she smiled back and nodded.

"Maybe it is a good thing, maybe we need to realise what we are doing, and figure out how to do it on our terms?" Jeanette said, not being one of the ones consulted about all decisions unnerved her, she hated being in the dark.

"At least we still have time to work on our project." Enoch said, looking on the bright side of life for once. Jeanette smiled at him.

"That is true."

^^^^

It was late at night when Cameron found Jeanette stood on the top deck, gazing out at the water.

"I don't like this Jenny; it feels too much like last time." He said, she turned to look at him, her eyes sad.

"I think that is Ethan's aim, I think he's been planning this, and that scares me." She answered, he frowned at her, the dim light from inside the boat was the only thing showing the two the grim expressions on each other's faces.

"You think he's coming back?" Cameron asked, he looked scared.

"He wanted us to come with him, he won't give up that easily." She answered.

"You're right, but you don't think he would attack us, do you?" he asked. She bit her lip.

"I don't know, I think he'll do what he can to stop us from saving the ymbrynes." She answered sadly, he frowned.

"Jenny, our group is broken, we can't take another attack, or loss of any kind." Cameron said.

"I know Cam, but if he comes back, we have to be ready for him, we know he's not on our side anymore, if we must fight him, then we will." She said. He nodded.

"Jenny you won't be able to hurt him properly, neither will I, and it'll break Nate, but we're the only ones who can stop him." Cameron said.

"Don't you think I know that Cam? But we have to try, he's not Ethan, not anymore." She said.

"You don't think there's any Ethan left?" Cameron asked. She shook her head.

"He's not our Ethan anymore." She answered, her eyes filling up with tears. She turned away from him and headed towards the door. "Goodnight Cameron, sleep well." With that she walked away, leaving him to ponder over what she had told him, and wonder whether there was any hope left for the peculiars at all.

^^^^

Jeanette met Enoch in the workshop bright and early the next morning. After her talk with Cameron only hours earlier, she had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach, and she felt like something bad was going to happen.

"What's wrong?" Enoch asked her, she looked at him and shook her head.

"I just have a bad feeling." She said.

"About what?" He asked.

Before Jeanette could answer his question, Cameron burst into the room.

"Jenny, Jenny you were right! He's back! He's come back!" The boy yelled loudly, Jenny bit her lip and looked at Enoch.

"That is what I was afraid of." She said anxiously.

"What do we do?" Cameron said, he was freaking out and Jenny knew he wouldn't be able to do a thing whilst he was worrying like this.

"Cameron, you must calm down, we need to think about this calmly." She told him. He took a few deep breaths, before nodding.

"So what do you want to do?" Enoch asked her, she sighed.

"I guess we have to go and meet him." She answered, an apprehensive look on her face.

With that, the three made their way to the top deck, to meet their old friend and new foe.