Chapter fifteen

Upon finding Leo's frozen body lying on the ground, Jeanette was shocked. She wasn't sure what she had been expecting when she had heard that Ethan had escaped, but to see him frozen, the look of surprise still on his face, it broke her heart. Leo was the one untouched, very little bothered him, nothing seemed to get to him, but now he was a human Popsicle, she wanted to curse Ethan for what he had done, but she wasn't going to resort to using the old curses, not yet.

She sat beside Leo as Emma expertly warmed his frozen limbs, and hearing him breathe again made a rush of emotion overcome Jeanette, and she had to take a moment, she didn't cry, not anymore, she didn't get that privilege, crying wasn't for people who had seen what she had. She sat with him for three days, no one would stay with her for the full length of time, they didn't know Leo like she did, only Alice would come and sit with her in the evenings, but Leo did not wake, not until the third day, when he finally opened her eyes, and she almost cracked with emotion.

"Leo!" She sat up straight at once, so glad to see her friend.

"E-Ethan." Leo muttered. Jeanette shook her head.

"He's gone Leo." She told him.

"N-no." Leo mumbled, a single tear fell from his eye. She shook her head and wiped it away.

"We don't get to cry Leo, especially not over him." She told him, he nodded weakly.

"Jenny, i-it's so cold." He muttered. She took the soft, woollen blanket that was hung over the back of the chair she sat on and wrapped it around him. "Thanks."

She smiled at him. "It'll be okay Leo." Only she seemed to understand what had happened, at least he thought she did.

"You know." He told her weakly, she nodded.

"It's obvious." She said.

"It was that obvious?" He asked in shock, she shook her head.

"Only to those who knew you best." She answered with a grin.

"So just you?" Leo murmured.

"And Evie, she thought you were cute." Jeanette said, her saying the term that Evangeline used to say all the time, sounded so foreign coming from her lips, but Leo knew what she meant.

"I'm sorry Jenny, I let him get away." Leo muttered sadly.

"It wasn't your fault, he used you against yourself." She told him.

"I should have been smarter." Leo murmured.

"We all should have been smarter." She answered.

^^^^

Jeanette stood on the top deck beside Enoch, watching the landscape form from endless waters, to a horizon lined with trees. She smiled, perhaps things were looking up, Leo was getting better, they were finally nearing land, and it was time to put their plan into action.

Those involved in the smaller group, met the two on the top deck, in order to figure out what they were to do.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Casper asked nervously.

"If we stay in the group we are in, we'll be found for sure." Stephan said, he hadn't fully recovered from the curse Ethan had cast upon him, Leo hadn't recovered from being frozen either.

"He's right, there's too many of us, we have to do this." Melanie said from where she stood beside Stephan.

"As soon as we hit land, we will leave the others, Jenny will know where to go." Horace told them matter-of-factly.

"Did you see that?" Enoch asked, sounding surprised.

"Yes, no need for the tone of surprise." Horace answered.

"Well, it seems I'll know what to do." Jeanette sighed.

"Regroup when we get to land." Leo added weakly.

"Okay, go back to what you were doing, we can't arouse suspicion." Josef said.

"See you later." Jeanette added with a smile.

Slowly, the group dispersed, leaving just Jeanette and Enoch on the top deck.

"Project?" Enoch asked.

"Of course." Jeanette laughed.

^^^^^

"Josef?" The dark-haired boy looked up to find Horace at the door to his cabin. He smiled.

"Come on in." He smiled. Horace entered and took a seat on the bed, Josef put down the jumper he was holding and sat beside the blonde.

"Are you feeling alright?" Horace asked, Josef frowned at him.

"Yes, why?" He asked, Horace sighed.

"Well, you're creating sparks." The blonde answered, Josef scoffed, before looking down at his hands, watching as blue sparks of electricity jumped off his skin.

"Oh."

"Do you need a doctor or something? I could get Melanie?" Horace asked.

"I-I don't really know." Josef shrugged.

"maybe you just need to calm down." Horace suggested, he held his arms out, thinking that maybe if he gave the boy a hug, he would calm down, but Josef flinched away from him, standing up and backing into a corner.

"I-I don't want to hurt you." There was an edge of panic in his voice.

"Josef, you need to calm down." Horace got up, going towards the boy, who kept backing away from him, until he hit the wall of his cabin.

"Horace please, I don't want to hurt you." Josef whispered. Horace sighed and took off the jacket of his suit, before passing it to the boy, Josef didn't take it, only frowned at the taller boy.

"It doesn't conduct electricity; it's made to the highest standard." Horace explained. "Put it on." Josef took it and shrugged it on, it was a bit big for him, but it did what Horace wanted, no sparks escaped it. Tentatively, not wanting to startle the smaller boy, Horace wrapped his arms around him. He could feel Josef's breathing returning to normal. "It's okay Josef." He comforted.

"Horace, I don't know if I can do this." Josef mumbled.

"You can Joe, you're the strongest person I know, and I've seen you do great things in the future." Horace said. Josef sniffed.

"You think so?" he asked.

"I know it." Horace confirmed.

Josef let out a large yawn, using his peculiarity, albeit accidentally, always tired him out.

"You should rest." Horace told him.

"I'm fine." Josef murmured, but his eyes were feeling heavy and he yawned once more.

"Josef, don't argue with me, I'm always right." Horace told him, Josef just nodded, he was getting increasingly more exhausted.

"Okay." He agreed, allowing Horace to lead him across the room and to his bed. There, he all but collapsed onto the soft mattress, Horace smiled and tucked a blanket around him, smiling at the now sleeping boy, before leaving the room. Josef would be alright, he knew it.