Chapter nine

"What in bird's name was that?" Millard questioned, his answer cutting through the frozen silence that has ensued after the scream

"I'm not entirely sure I wish to know." Leo muttered, his arms growing tighter around Alice. She patted his hand gently.

"It sounded like one of your fellow peculiars Horace, the one who manipulates air." Josef said.

"You're right Joe, it sounded like Olive..." Horace said before his eyes widened.

"I think we need to investigate." Jeanette said before Horace could.

"Agreed." Alice nodded.

Slowly, each peculiar, following Jeanette and Enoch, left the room and made their way onto the top deck, making sure there was nothing unwanted in their path.

When they reached the top deck Jeanette froze. A Wight, all too familiar to her, was holding a knife to Olive's throat.

"Enoch..." Jeanette whispered, he knew what she meant at once and nodded.

"The same one?" He asked just in case. She nodded.

"The same one." She confirmed. The other peculiars were already gathered in the top deck, along with the two ymbrynes. The group quickly joined then and all of them stared down the wight together. Jeanette noticed neither Nathan or Ethan were with them, but didn't comment on it.

"Let her go!" Emma yelled fearlessly, her hand a ball of flames.

The wight just laughed at her, Jeanette knew it wouldn't be fazed by that, if they wanted to scare it, they had to use less peculiar methods. She pulled a gun from underneath her skirt and pushed her way to the front of the group.

"Let her go!" She commanded, feeling everyone's eyes latched onto the back of her head. The Wight laughed harder.

"Well if it isn't little Jenny!" It said. She glared at it.

"Jenny be careful!" Leo warned her.

"She knows what she's doing." Enoch said sombrely.

"I said, let her go!" Jeanette snapped, aiming the gun at the Wight's face, where if she were to pull the trigger, it would narrowly avoid Olive's ear.

"Put the gun down Jenny!" Ethan commanded, appearing out of the shadows, pulling Nathan along side him, ice threatening to form on the young boy's arm. He looked terrified.

"Oh great! Icy's gone rouge, let's party!" Enoch muttered sarcastically. Jeanette giggled. She hadn't seen this side to him before.

"Ethan what are you doing?" Jeanette asked, her voice shaking. The Wight let go of Olive, who clomped over to Bronwyn (unable to run because of her lead shoes) and clung to her, scared out of her wits.

"I'm not going to let her boss us around anymore! After all she's done to us, I'm getting revenge. The age of ymbrynes is over, it's time the age of peculiars began!" Ethan yelled, his younger brother whimpered, earning his arm to be frozen. Nathan looked like he was going to cry. Alice and Casper growled angrily, they hated that their friend was being hurt.