chapter thirty one

The building the group had chosen to shelter from the hollow was nice enough, it seemed to be a warehouse, although not in use at the moment. Half the group were asleep, but a few stayed up, Bronwyn, Emma, Jacob, Millard and Jeanette.

Jeanette was rather fond of the other group of peculiars by now and found Jacob and Emma to be very trustworthy indeed. "There must be someone we can reach out to, who would know how to get into the punishment loops so we can find the other ymbrynes." Jacob mused, they all nodded tiredly, but none knew what to do anymore. Everything they tried somehow seemed to fall through and they were beginning to feel rather scared.

"What if there is? Miss Wren came hear when she heard her sister ymbrynes had been taken, what if she's still here?" Millard questioned. They all stared at him.

"Well I had assumed that she had been taken by the wights same as the others." Jeanette nodded. "But perhaps you're right."

"Even if she was, how would you find her?" Bronwyn asked with a frown.

"The pigeons." Millard answered simply.

"And how will they help?" Jacob asked, no one was really sure what Millard meant.

"They will know where she is, if they're peculiar that is." He replied.

"How do we know if they're peculiar?" Emma added with a frown.

"Miss peregrine will know." Bronwyn told them all, excitement in her voice. Hope, they had hope again and it was a wonderful feeling.

"Even for ymbrynes finding peculiar animals amidst normal ones is a difficult task." Jeanette said gently, she didn't want to put everyone down, but she had to be the skeptic if no one else would. "Perhaps it may be more rewarding to find another way."

"There is no other way." Millard told them, "this has to work or we'll be back to square one."

"Then tomorrow is time for us to hunt some pigeons." Emma said, glad of their progress.

The hunt for pigeons began the next morning in a small square close to the St Paul's cathedral, where Millard was certain miss Wren's pigeons lived.

There were certainly pigeons there, no doubt about that, it was merely a question of their peculiarity. The entire group began desperately to catch the pigeons, but in the end it was only Horace who by some sort of miracle managed it.

The all crowded around to study the specimen. "I've never been a fan of pigeons, although they do taste nice." Jeanette mused aloud. "Perhaps if we catch some and they are not peculiar they will serve as dinner."

"This isn't the 1800s anymore Jenny." Leo pointed out looking appalled. She laughed.

"I know." She didn't seem phased that they found it so disgusting, and the highlighted differences between their centuries of birth didn't bother them either. They embraced what made them different and welcomed what made them similar. Thus was the life of a peculiar child.

It was Horace who caught one in the end. He had worked tirelessly with a new determination that might have something to do with the prospect of finding Josef. However, their celebration at being one step closer was short-lived as Miss Peregrine attacked the poor creature at once and chased it off within an inch of its life.

"That was most unusual." Jeanette murmured to Enoch, appearing at his shoulder, he smirked at her, he had rather enjoyed the spectacle, or so it seemed.

"Indeed." He had smoothly slipped his hand into hers without her noticing and it made her smile. She really was rather fond of this boy. "Do you know of any other way we can try to find her?"

"If I remember rightly, there is a loop in the city, not a punishment loop, a proper one. I cannot for the life of me remember where it is though." She sighed, leaning her head against his arm.

"It's alright, take your time." Enoch was surprisingly encouraging and never harsh with her as he was with the others, which was maybe why she felt safest by his side.

"I've been so worried about Ethan and Joseph and Evie and Cam and Leo and you... my mind cannot focus." She sighed again, trying desperately to think.

"Me?" Enoch smirked. She rolled her eyes at him.

"Yes you." She said. "Because bird knows what I'd do without you."

He just smiled and gently wrapped his arms around you. "We're going to be alright. Just clear your mind and think."

"I'm just suddenly so sure it is where she'll be." Jeanette sighed. "Millard do you still have that map?" She pulled herself out of Enochs arms and ran towards the invisible boy. Enoch laughed to himself and ran after her.

"What?" Millard asked her, digging around in his bag for his map.

"The map of the city you picked up, can I see it." She said breathlessly. "There's a loop in the city, she might be there!"

"Where do you think it was?" Millard asked.

"Close to the Thames I think. Not too close, a bit away. Oh I don't know." She hit her forehead with the palm of her hand.

"Jenny calm down, you won't be able to think if you worry your self." Enoch told her, he took her hand and traced circles into the back of it with his thumb. "All is not lost."

"Pudding lane." She said at last. "It's near there."

"Emma! Jacob!" Millard called at once. "We have a new plan."

Emma and Jacob agreed with the new plan without a moment's thought, which seemed risky but the whole group had very little left to lose, apart from each other. And the sound of somewhere safe seemed like music to their ears, so they head through London, their spirits high and ready for a warm bed and a hot dinner. Ready to rest just once, because half had been sleeping with one eye open the entire trip and the rest had had or been woken up by nightmares. And they found it.

They found it at last. And of course when they entered the loop, who did they find?

Miss Wren.