Chapter Twenty One

Leo was first to awaken the next morning, or so he had thought, but climbing down the stairs and into the kitchen, that was soon proved not to be the case

Jeanette stood in the kitchen, slowly cooking porridge on the old stove, she smiled when she saw him enter the room.

"Good morning Leo!" She greeted him brightly, he smiled back.

"Morning Jenny." His reply was sullen and tired.

"Would you like some breakfast?" She asked, he nodded wearily and she brought two bowls over to the table, sitting opposite to where he had slumped into a chair.

"Jenny, can I... can I ask you something?" Leo questioned, she nodded.

"Of course."

"Did you love Ethan?" She looked surprised at his question.

"You know I did Leo." She told him with a sad smile.

"No, did you LOVE him." He asked, she looked at him, understanding what he meant.

"No, not in that way, I loved him as a friend, as a brother." She answered him.

"What about him?" He questioned.

"Deep down, he felt the same as I did. When the rumours began to fly, that's when he began thinking, pretending that there was anything different." She told him, eating a spoonful of porridge slowly.

"He used to say you and I were the only ones he loved, do you think that's true?" She frowned at the boy, trying to figure out what was going on with him.

"I do, he loved you Leo, and I know he still does, but I fear there is no saving him. He is too far gone." She told him.

"Do you still love him?" Leo asked.

"Yes, yes I do, I hope deep down there is still our Ethan underneath that mask, and I know you do too." She answered.

"He used to know when I'd have a nightmare about... the past... He'd always calm me down. But now, now he is in my nightmares." He confessed.

"Leo, do not be afraid to still love him, and most definitely do not fear him, he will not threaten your life, although the same can't be said for everyone. We have the opportunity to fight him, without him wanting to harm us." Jeanette got up out of her seat and began to clean her empty bowl in the sink.

"Jenny, when he froze me, he apologised, but he still did it. I think he will do anything that harms us, but does not kill us." Leo answered. "We need Evie, she can stop him, I know she can."

"Evie could be dead for all we know; we don't even know where she is." Jeanette answered, her tone changing.

"Then we'll find her!" Leo got up, a new determination in his voice.

"And drag her to her death? Leo be reasonable." Jeanette shook her head and turned to face him.

"Jenny, we don't know that we'll die." Leo looked at her worriedly.

"We don't know we'll survive." She answered.

It took a while, but a few at a time, the others filtered downstairs and were given breakfast. The house was soon filled with the chatter of a late breakfast time.

Jeanette sat beside Enoch, curled up into a ball and asleep with her head in his lap. She hadn't meant to fall asleep, but had barely been able to keep her eyes open and in her slumber, she dreamed.

She dreamed of lost loves, lost family, lost friends. She dreamed of what the hollows could have been, of the stories she knew, and of the only thing that had kept her going for 192, she dreamed of hope.

But whilst she dreamed, the others grew restless, some eventually leaving the house to go and explore. It took minutes for the room to be empty of all except Horace, Leo, Enoch and Jeanette.

"A room full of broken lovers." Horace commented sceptically. "Yet none of our love is unrequited, unlike a new blossoming friendship."

"Do you always speak in riddles Horace?" Leo asked with raised brows.

"He does." Enoch supplied.

"I speak of what I know." Horace answered.

"No, you've just become more observant since Josef left." Enoch rolled his eyes.

"You're nicer when she's awake." Leo commented.

"You are; I gather she is whom you're trying to impress?" Horace asked with a smirk.

"Oh please, I'm not the one who got a special coat because my lover can't control his peculiarity." Enoch shot back Horace was about to counter that when Jeanette woke up.

"Will you stop arguing!" She exclaimed wearily.

"Sorry Jenny." Enoch told her, she smiled and assured him it was alright. She was about to speak again, when Addison entered the room.

"Gather your group Jeanette, I found the other half of it." He told them. They all stared at him, flabbergasted.