chapter twenty six

The peculiars were asleep, curled up in groups, Emma, Jacob, Millard and Hugh in a group near the centre of the park

The peculiars were asleep, curled up in groups, Emma, Jacob, Millard and Hugh in a group near the centre of the park. Bronwyn, Olive, Casper, Alice and Nathan were in another group, near the back of the park.

And in the corner, lay Jeanette, Enoch, Horace, Aimee, Stephan, Cameron, Leo and Melanie.

And it was that group that whoever had been watching them went towards. He was a tall boy, immaculately dressed and his blonde hair was beautifully brushed and clean. He stared at the ragtag bunch and looked almost longingly at the group, as though wishing he could be a part of it.

"Leo, Leo wake up." He whispered, his voice sharp, like ice.

"Five more minutes." The brunette in which he addressed mumbled.

"Leo we need to go now." The icy voice hissed, Leo opened his eyes and almost screamed as he saw who was stood there, the boy dragged him away from his friends, forcing him to watch as he froze his friends. Leo screamed, and he didn't stop...

"Leo, hey, wake up!" It was Cameron, he opened his eyes to find himself sobbing in Jeanettes arms, Cameron crouched in front of him.

"It's Okay, it wasn't real." Jeanette whispered to him comfortingly. She'd dealt with his nightmares before, but it had been a while since he'd been that shaken.

"He was here Jenny, he was here." Leo sniffed, she offered him a handkerchief and he wiped his eyes.

"It was just a dream Leo, it was just a dream." She told him comfortingly. He shook his head.

"He killed you." He mumbled. "He killed everyone."

"We need to go, he could have woken up.half the neighbourhood." Jacob told them, Jeanette glared at him, she was clutching Leo tightly, protectivly.

"He is in no fit state to be going anywhere." She answered stiffly. Jacob sighed.

"I know, but if the hollow finds us or the Wights, we have to keep going." Jacob told her, he shook her head.

"We might as well spend the rest of the night, we have nothing to lose and we are all exhausted." Jeanette reasoned, after a moment he nodded and went back towards Emma.

"How are you doing Leo?" He was leaning on her shoulder, but he had stopped crying now.

"I'm okay Jenny, thank you." He smiled weakly to back up his point.

"I told you I would always be here for you." She smiled back.

"I know."

Horace and Enoch joined the two (Cameron had left to check in Nathan), Horace looked deeply troubled.

"I saw Ethan, I think he may have influenced Leo's nightmare." He told them, Jeanette pulled Leo closer, protectivly, Enoch sat down beside her, as though about to do something. Eventually he took her hand.

"We must rest, whatever we come across, we can fight." Jeanette said optimistically. Enoch smiled at her.

"I do believe we can ."

^^^
It took a while for the group to get moving, but at last they made their way towards a train station, it was empty as it was still early in the morning, but it gave them a shelter and a sense of purpose, a sense of doing something.

They were to travel to London on the first train available, but that was not for hours yet.

Stephan and Aimee sat in a corner, away from the others, Stephan was asleep, but Aimee was not, and she was worried. Stephan had not been right for a long time, the shadows affecting him more and more, his fear growing each day that passed. She was worried about him, so worried. Yes he was secretive and quiet. But he was sweet and kind and wanted her to be happy. He was the most loving person she had met and she worried every day that she might lose him, to the shadows or even to the wights.

He never slept regularly, waking every few hours due to fear or restlessness and she was concerned for his health. She was scared that the wights would control him like Ethan did, and take him away from her. She didnt want to save the ymbryne, she wanted to save herself and her boyfriend.

She watched him flinch in his sleep, waking himself up. "You okay Aims?"

She smiled at him. "I'm fine." He wasn't convinced, of course he wasn't. He knew her too well.

"What's wrong." He sat up and wrapped his arms around her gently.

"I'm worried about you Steph, really worried." She told him. He smiled slightly, he looked exhausted, as though he hadn't slept at all.

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine." He told her, she leaned her head against his shoulder slowly.

"We should go, once we get to London, we should go." She said, she already knew what he was going to say, but she had decided to try, just in case.

"Aimee..." He began.

"I know, but Steph you can't go up against the wights again, I can't see them control you, I can't lose you." She was close to tears. He pulled her close and kissed her forehead.

"Aims, Aimee they won't, I... I'm trying to convince Jenny to do a protection spell, but you know how she is about magic." He told her carefully. She looked at him, hope shining in her eyes.

"You mean, we could stop the spells?" She asked. He nodded.

"Jenny's scared to use magic though, but I'll talk to her tomorrow." He answered. She grinned at him, wrapping her arms around him tightly.

"That's brilliant Stephan."

Stephen's half smile faded and he sighed, whispering something quietly, as though he dared not to even speak the words. "If it works."