Silly bigotry

After church adorned we exited the building waving at all our soul brother and sisters.

“Bye! See you next Sunday! Bless you! Goodbye!”

I noticed two girls laughing and whispering to each other while looking at me.

“That was wonderful!” I said to Quest.

He appeared to be bothered by the girls glaring at them and Journey stuck her tongue at them.

“Hey Q! You never told us about your friend Caper the friendly ghost!” one of the girls teased.

“Who’s caper?” I asked.

The girls began to laugh harder holding their stomachs. I remained confused until Journey finally told me “They’re laughing at you because you’re white,”

I then shrugged unsure of why my sin complexion was so hilarious “Okay,”

We all got into the car. It was a quiet ride home. I looked out the window and asked myself why those girls would laugh at me because of the color of my skin. I’ve seen very many people with the same skin tone, so it’s not like it was strange. Maybe there was a joke I didn’t understand.

Finally we approached the house and Quest and I started walking to the beach instead of going inside.

“Later mom! Going to the beach,” he called.

She stood there and watched as Quest and I joined hands walking away hand in hand and then she looked down at her daughter “JJ, honey go with them and make sure they behave,”

“Okay mama,” Journey replied following behind Quest and I

“Wait up!” she called while chasing after us.

She cut in between Quest and I. Quest let out a disappointed sigh and asked “Journey, what are you doing?”

“Mama told me to keep an eye on you two,” she replied.

Quest pouted as she teased “If only I was a princess. Princess keep secrets.”

“Okay princess,” he mumbled.

She let off a smug smile as we finally approached the beach seeing Rufus in a white T shirt and yellow swim trunks building a sand castle.

“Hey man!” Quest greeted him while waving.

He looked up seeing Quest running to him and waved back “Hey!”

“Did you have fun at church?” he asked

“Yes!” I replied

He tilted his head seemingly baffled “Really?”

I nodded “Yes! You should come along next time,”

“No way sis. I’ll pass on that,” he replied.

“Why not? Your sins will never be forgiven if you don’t ask,” I said with a frown.”

He began to laugh and replied “You know, you aren’t supposed to take the stories in that book too literal. It’s just moral advice.”

“Don’t say that!” Journey shouted.

He rolled his eyes and argued “Oh yeah? Then why are there so many versions of Christianity? That book has been edited and chopped more than today’s celebrities.”

The three of us glared at him as he stood up and placed his hand on my shoulder “Sis, I’m going to tell you something about religion. It’s a scam in order to make money and other things. Back in the 70’s there was a man who started a faith. His followers were people of all kinds. Black, white, scumbags and innocent. People of all shapes, sizes, color and ages. He taught these people to love and you want to know what he did in the end?”