celebration of the nerds

Nearly a week later on a warm Friday morning I woke up to seeing Brother Rufus looking into the mirror at his reflection. He was wearing a blue hat with goggles in it, a blue shirt with a red S on it and baggy pants with many pockets.

“Good morning,” I greeted.

He turned around with a bright smile and asked “How do I look?”

“You look great!” I replied politely smiling back.

I got out of bed leaving the room to shower. As I passed the kitchen where mother was cooking breakfast with Zero she greeted “Good morning Star!”

“Good morning mother and Zero!” I greeted back.

Brother Rufus entered the kitchen in a rush “Hurry up! We’re trying to make it to the convention early! It’s a long line!”

“Finally going to the sifi convention huh?” she said.

“Yeah! Quest and I are pumped!” Rufus raved tossing his hand in the air.

“Make sure you boys don’t make her feel left out, alright?” she said.

“Mom, of course,” he replied taking a piece of bacon.

After my quick shower I came running out wearing a towel “Okay! I just need to get dressed,” said Star.

“Hurry it up, will ya!” he hassled me.

Zero growled at him “How dare you rush the princess!”

“She’s my sister now, which makes me a prince,” he teased sticking out his tough.

Zero folded his arms and mumbled “You hardly pass as royalty.”

Rufus’s phone began to ring. He pulled it out his pocket and answered “Yo!”

“You guys on your way yet?” Quest asked.

“Nah, you know how long girls usually take,” Rufus said rolling his eyes.

Mother popped him on the head for the remark and he rubbed his head “Ow!”

I came out the bedroom dressed in cluttered clothing. Brother Rufus chuckled and laughed “Ok, sorry I shushed you.”

I looked down at my clothing “I want to wear a costume, like you.”

He began to think “Hm…”

He looked back at mother “D we still have that green Halloween paint?” he asked.

“Yes! Zero, be a dear and go fetch it for me inside my dresser,” she said.

As Zero jumped down from the counter and entered mother’s room Brother Rufus looked at me “I have an idea,” he said before pulling me into the room.

Once we were in the room he pulled out a pink plastic sports bra, gloves and a tiny skirt and boots. He showed it to me as my eyes lit up.

“These belonged to Ruby when she was little,” he said.

He put rubber alien antennas on my head as Zero entered the room with the paint.

“Okay, now what are you trying to do with—“ he began to ask before Rufus snatched the can from him.

He rubbed me down with the paint turning me green and smiled at me seeing the work in progress “Ok, awesome.”

I looked into the mirror amazed by my transformation. I gasped and embraced my brother “Thank you!”

He laughed and headed out “Okay! C’mon! Let’s go!”