Falling in love

We approached Quest’s house, our spirits shot down by the occurrence at the skating rink. Once we entered the house noticed Quest’s mother waving happily. “Hey sugar! You’re daddy called,” she said

“Oh, that’s great,” he replied.

She looked at me suspiciously then back at Quest and asked “Where were you?”

“The skating rink down the street,” he replied.

Brother Rufus and I turned to exit the house “Well, Star and I should get going,” he said

“Bye!” I waved.

Quest’s mother glared at him as we made our leave. As we left the house I looked at my brother. His heart was broken. I finally decided I didn’t want to give that girl a chance. I didn’t know why she was so cold, but she was.

“Brother?” I said catching his attention.

“That girl is a no good rotten brute!” I said.

He smiled back at me and replied “It’s not her fault.”

“But she-!” I began before he silenced me by putting his finger onto my lips.

“She was best friends with Ruby in elementary school. Just like Quest and I, she didn’t make friends easily. Once Ruby disappeared she blamed me,” he explained.

“Don’t be so modest! She shouldn’t have blamed you!” I said.

“Actually, that’s where you’re wrong,” he replied.

My eyes grew wide as we continued walking to the house. I wanted to ask more but I refused to believe my dear brother was the monster he made himself out to be. But just in case, I decided to go and ask mother the truth.

Once we entered the house mother was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper. She looked up at us and greeted “How was the skating rink?”

Brother Rufus ignored her and strolled into his room as she questioned “Ru?”

Zero came running into the room calling out to her “Sofia! We have a problem with—“

I sat next to mother “Mother, I must speak with you.”

“Did something happen?” She asked.

“I must ask what happened to Ruby,” I replied looking away.

Once I looked back at her face as she paused I could sense the heart break behind her eyes.

“Forgive me for prying. I just feel it’s time I knew the truth,” I said.

She began to rub my head for a moment as she searched for the tactful words. The pause felt like an eternity waiting for her response to my question.

“I think Ru should be the one to tell you.” She said.

“Okay, but did he hurt her?” I asked.

She shook her head “I don’t think she felt any pain as she left this world.”

“Final question,” I said.

“Yes?” she replied.

“Why did he do it?” I asked.

She let out a sigh and answered “She was unhappy for a very long time. I miss her so but this is for the best,” She replied.

My face positively lit up s my dread was put to rest “Oh! So it was a mercy killing?”

She scratched her head “Uh, yes. Something like that.”

Suddenly Brother Rufus turned on his obnoxious loud rock music. It was a relief to at least know that my dear brother wasn’t a predator.