Family

((Tumblr prompt inspired))

Sam doesn't remember falling

Sam doesn't remember falling. She doesn't remember the pain in her chest as her breath escaped her or the way black spots appeared and danced in her vision or the pain of hands around her neck, bruising her skin and cutting off her air. She absolutely doesn't remember the beautiful blonde woman with cream colored wings and glimmering armor appearing before her, offering Sam her hand, and whisking her away from the concrete.

Sam remembers closing her eyes for a moment, her hand pressed against her throat- pressed to hands around her neck, and tears streaming down her face. She remembers the fear that crept into the corners of her mind and opening her eyes to find herself in an unfamiliar hall filled with mean and women in armor and formal clothes and uniforms and jeans and she's so overwhelmed. Surely this is the afterlife and she cries because they know her name.

They welcome her like family.

And at the head of a huge table, a man with greying hair and gleaming armor beckons her closer, directing her to a seat that's blue like her hair.

Then the man takes a long drink from his cup and slams it on the table. Sam recoils and the hall falls silent.

"Samantha. Tell us of the battle you were slain in." He requests.

Sam looks around and tugs at her jacket, pulling it closer around her. The phantom pain in her chest and around her neck restricting her voice. Eager faces wait to cheer for her tale and she looks away in shame.

"I was strangled. There- there was this guy who was being mugged I think. I don't know. He was scared, crying, and I just. I stepped in and stopped the other guy. I told the kid to run and he did. I guess the other guy wasn't too happy with me, but I couldn't just stand by and let that poor kid get hurt." Sam looks up to somber faces and the man in armor offering her a drink.

"Welcome Samantha, savior of the defenseless." His voice booms though the hall, which then errupts in cheering.

Over time, the occupants of the hall are introduced to Sam, and she learns she is in Valhalla. Her seat remains placed at the head of the table near Odin.

One day, Sam receives the offer to return to Earth with Odin's son and join a team of warriors who need help.

And well... who could refuse that offer?

So legends are told of a girl with blue hair and a Nordic sword joining the Avengers. She fights like she won't ever die and wears her scars like medals of honor.

And, one by one, as the original Avengers die and are replaced, she leads them to a hall that's filled with people who greet them like family.