One

After spending a few years between foster homes at a young age, a nice couple finally came into my life to adopt me. I moved in with them and life was fantastic for about four years until my mom and dad got divorced five years ago when I was fourteen. My dad left us moved to a rural part of Canada, doesn't call and we don't know where he is, and my mom and I stayed in Pittsburgh. I've been trying to get my parents back together but as typical, it doesn't work. Typical divorce child tactics, but it's hard when your dad doesn't leave a trail of himself anywhere. No social media, nothing. Luckily I'm an only child at nineteen.  My mom's only twenty-nine, they were interested in adopting an older child before adopting a baby so I got lucky. I'm obsessed with ice hockey and living in Pittsburgh meant that hockey was everywhere. Evgeni Malkin had been my idol since I moved to Pittsburgh, and I'd give anything to meet him just once. 

I was walking home from class on Tuesday evening when my mom texted me and said that there was someone at home that she wanted me to meet. My heart skipped a beat, but I was soon filled with doubt. She rarely went on dates or talked about any man, or woman, she'd met, so she probably had a work friend over. I'd been used to being walked out on, so why would I get my hopes up? So I just walked home slower.

I took a deep breath before I walked up the stairs to the front door and another breath when I opened the door. There was someone sitting on the couch beside my mom and he looked familiar but I only saw the back of his head. But he was a man, which really surprised me. 

"Tylor. This is Sidney. We've been dating for almost two years, but we've been pretty private about it." my mom said. I was speechless.

 "How could you not tell me? I tell you everything! Literally everything!" I said. I could feel tears start to roll down my face and onto the floor. She always told me everything and never kept anything from me, I felt a strong hit of betrayal hit me in the chest. 

"I know. I'm sorry," she said, but I wasn't looking at her. I couldn't, I was hurt.

"I think it's kinda late for, that," I said, and I walked off to my room. 

I was a literal mess. I took a few deep breaths and washed my face to calm myself down. I'm sure she has a good reason why she didn't tell me, but two years? I took my phone out of my pocket and texted an old friend of mine to ask if the ice rink he worked at had open skate today. He responded almost immediately telling me they did. I changed into a pair of jeans and threw on a hoodie and grabbed my skates. I took one last look in my mirror before making the trip downstairs. 

 I walked to the front door, my mom and Sidney were both looking at me. 

"I'm uh going skating," I said and opened the front door, not making eye contact. 

"I can take you down to Consol. They guys are there but still, I'm sure they wouldn't mind." Sidney said. I felt a small smile form. Them together won't be bad, but I'm still upset. 

"Y-yeah. That will be nice." I stuttered. I put down my skates and walked over to my mom. "I'm sorry I yelled at you. I didn't mean it. I love you ." I said. 

"I love you too. Be careful you two." she said as we walked out the door.

It was a semi quiet drive to Consol until Sidney started asking questions to try to break the ice. Even though he's a pro hockey player, he's just a genuinely good guy. 

"So, you play hockey?" he asked.

"No, I just practice." I answered. There was some awkwardness in the air. 

"Why don't you play?"

"I started into the sport too late, I wouldn't be able to catch up, plus I'll never be as good as you guys. And I'm really nervous about the guys being there too." He looked at me and let out a small chuckle.