Lost Boy

There they were. My mom and dad, just where I left them. There we were, in the car again like last time. I scream for them once again with no answer attached. What made this time different was that Peter wasn't there to wake me up. I got to witness everything all over again. The car crashing into us, our bodies being lunged everywhere as gravity took control of the vehicle. Lets not forget the cherry on top of the trauma cake, watching my parents being taken away in body bags after being pronounced dead. I screamed and cried uncontrollably as I watched them being taken away.

Suddenly, I jolt awake like last time, only this time I let out a loud scream. It was probably loud enough for all of Neverland to hear. I run my hand through my hair as I breath heavily. I wipe my forehead with the back of my hand and realized I'm sweating like a pig. I look out my window at Peter's tree house and noticed his lantern was lit. What's he doing up this late at night? Suddenly, I hear noises coming from the latter that enters my tree house. Someone's trying to come up, but who? I quickly get out of my hammock and grab my crossbow. I aim it at the opening in the floor that my latter is attached to and wait for the intruder. The person pokes their head up through the opening, its Peter. His eyes went big when he saw I was armed and he put his hands in the air. I lowered my crossbow when I realized it was only him.

"Someone's a bit paranoid" he implies, climbing the rest of the way up 'till he was fully in my tree house.

"No offence, but what are you doing here?" I ask, hanging my weapon back on the wall.

"I heard you screaming" he admits, walking closer "I came to check on you."

"I'm fine Peter, I promise" I assure him, sitting back down in my hammock.

"You had that nightmare again, didn't you?" he says, taking a seat next to me.

"Y-yeah" I chocked out, a stray tear starting to run down my cheek. I quickly wipe it away, hoping he didn't notice it. Since he thinks so highly of me, the last thing I want to do is show him any weakness. He stands up and holds his hand out in front of me with his palm open.

"Lets go for a walk" he suggests, nodding towards his open hand.

***********************************************************************************

We walk along a trail that took us through the jungle then led to the beach. We walked along the shore for a bit then sat down in the sand beside one another. We sat in a comfortable silence and stared out at the ocean. Peter suddenly decided to break the silence.

"So, what were they like?" he asked with a bit of a child like gleam in his eyes.

"Who, my parents?" I answer, giggling a little at his expression.

"Well, yeah" he says with a chuckle. "What were your mother and father like?"

"I thought you already knew everything about me" I tease.

"Okay first of all, my shadow has been watching you, not me" he declares, starting to count on his fingers. "And second of all, the shadow only told me what he thought I needed to know."

"So, you don't know anything about my parents other than the fact that they died?" I question, raising my eyebrows like he constantly does.

"That's right" he said, laughing "now tell me."

"Okay fine" I give in, laughing. "They were amazing parents. Probably the best mother and father you could hope for. They were kind and always wanted to help others. They taught me right from wrong and weren't afraid to tell me if what I was doing was wrong. They loved me unconditionally and always put me before themselves."

I start to tear up a little, remembering all the good times I had with my parents.

"They sound wonderful" he says softly, like if he spoke any louder he'd scare me away.

"They were" I stated, letting a few tears fall as I wipe them away. So much for not showing any weakness. "They were wonderful."

"I probably shouldn't have asked Alaina, I didn't mean to make you cry" he says, bowing his head to see my face since I was looking down.

"Its alright, you were just curious" I respond, lifting my head up to look at his devilishly handsome face. I just stare at him and smile warmly. Whether he knows it or not, he was a big part of my life and still is. As cold hearted as some of the lost boys describe him, that's not what I see when I look at him. I see, well, a lost boy. I can tell he acts the way he does because he's afraid of something. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I want to find out.

"You wanna know something funny?" I start off, giggling and smiling "I had this story book that my mom read to me every night and...it was about you."

"Really?" he exclaims, threading his eyebrows together "Your mother read you stories about me?"

"Yeah, she did" I affirmed, letting my smile drop as I remember what happened to the book.

"Did you bring it to Neverland with you?" he asked, excitement brewing in his eyes."I want to see what people in the real world portray me as."

"I did but, I lost it" I told him as sadness overtook me "That book meant so much to me. It was the only thing I had left from my parents and now its history." 

"Don't worry Alaina, I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere" he assures me.

"I hope you're right" I say, letting a smile creep back on my face.

He stands up and offers me his hand once more. "Its getting late, we should head back."

"I suppose you're right" I respond, taking his hand and letting him help me to my feet.

We start to walk back together when suddenly, I had this burning question in my mind that I had to get out.

"Peter, can I ask you a question?" I blurt out as I stop walking and stand in one spot. "Why has the shadow been watching me?"

He stares at me and smirks while uttering a deep sigh. "Ill explain another time Alaina. Its just right now, I'm not ready to tell you."