The Hourglass

I bolted to the lost boys camp, running as fast as the wind on a breezy day. I hate to leave Peter alone, but I have to get some help. I have no idea what could be wrong with him, so I'm gonna get someone who might know, Felix.

I make it to the lost boys camp and see everyone going about their daily activities. I spotted Felix sitting on a log sharpening a piece of wood with his hunting knife. I fast-walk over to him and he immediately looks up.

"Hello Alaina, haven't seen you in awhile" he says, giving a small smile. "How are you?"

"There's something wrong with Peter" I utter quickly, ignoring his question.

"What?" he responds, quickly standing up and towering over me. "What do you mean?"

"W-we were in my tree house a-and everything was fine, but he just randomly collapsed" I stutter, remembering what had happened.

"This was bound to happen sooner or later" he utters to himself with a deep sigh.

"What was bound to happen!? What's wrong with Peter!? Is he gonna be okay!?" I ask, letting millions of questions pour out of my mouth.

"Why do you ask so many questions!?" he exclaims. "Now stop talking and take me to him!"

************************************************************************************

I was thankful that when Felix and I got back to my tree house Peter was still breathing and he was just where I left him. Peter didn't sustain any head injuries from his fall, so he appears to be okay. Felix and I lifted him off the ground and onto my hammock so he was no longer laying on my floor. After awhile Peter finally awoke from his slumber.

"You're awake" I say softly, stroking his cheek.

"How long have I been unconscious?" Peter asks, swiping his thumb over my hand.

"About a half hour I think" I respond, smiling warmly at my beautiful lost boy. "Felix came and helped me get you off the floor. He went back to camp a little while ago to tell everyone what had happened."

Peter took my hand and kissed it as he sat up in my hammock. I'm just so happy that he's alright now, but I still want to know why he fainted.

"Peter, what happened?" I asked, expressing my concern for the handsome green-eyed boy. "What made you faint like that?"

He looks down at his shoes and lets out a deep sigh. "I knew I wouldn't be able to keep this from you for long."

"Keep what from me?" I say, feeling slightly angry that he has another secret that he's keeping from me.

He rises to his feet and takes my hand. "I'll show you."

The purple smoke that Peter has control over engulfs us and transports us to an unfamiliar location. I can tell we're in a cave of some kind. The cave has two circular windows where you can see all of Neverland out of. There is one feature to this cave that stands out the most, a giant hourglass containing golden sand and surrounded by golden skulls standing right in the center of the cave. I cant help but wonder what the hourglass was for. Peter was staring at it with a terrified look in his eyes. What is it about this hourglass that scares him?

"Peter, why did you bring me here?" I ask as curiosity took over me. "And what's this hourglass for?"

He turns towards me and takes both my hands in his and stares deeply into my blue eyes. "Remember how I told you I traded my son for youth?"

I nod my head in response, remembering that exact conversation.

"After I made that deal with the shadow, this place appeared" he says, explaining everything as clear as he could. "This cave we're in right now is called Skull Rock."

"So, what does this place and this hourglass have to do with that deal?" I ask.

"I'm getting to that" he responds, chuckling slightly. He turns his attention to the hourglass and gently rests a hand on it.

"This hourglass represents the magic fueling my youth" he says softly, sounding obviously distressed. "Its half empty, that's why I fainted. It was a warning."

"What happens when it runs out?" I utter, threading my eyebrows together as I watch the sands fall from the top of the hourglass.

"When the hourglass runs out..." he chokes out. "My youth and magic will be taken...and I'll die."

"What?" I whisper, feeling my lip quiver as tears blur my vision. The boy I love just saved me from the clutches of death and here is that same boy telling me that death will soon be his fate. "Y-you're dying?"

"I'm afraid so" he confirms, stroking the top of my hand with his thumb as a way to try and calm me down. "That's why the shadow was watching you. I told him to find someone who can take my place as leader once I'm gone, and that someone is you. Even though my initial intent was to find a successor, I ended up falling in love with you, and I knew I couldn't die without getting to kiss those beautiful lips at least once."

"Really?" I say, bringing a hand to my head to scratch it with confusion. "Peter this is all too much. I can't lead the lost boys the way you do, I'm not like you!"

"Alaina, I know you'll make a great leader" he says, trying to assure me.

"No! I'm not gonna be leader of anything because you're not gonna die!" I exclaim, tears staining my cheeks and denial being evident in my voice. "There has to be a way to save you, I can't lose you Peter!" 

"I'm afraid I don't know of a way" he utters softly, looking down at his feet. "The shadow never told me of a solution."

"Well, then I'm gonna get a solution" I told him, grabbing both his cheeks in my hands. "I love you, and I will save you."

I bring his face towards mine and kiss him with every ounce of love I have for him. I pull our lips apart and rest my forehead against his.

"I have to go" I whisper as I go to walk away.

"Where are you going?" he asks, grabbing my arm to stop me from moving any further.

"I'm going to find the shadow, I think its time me and him have a little chat."