The Cure

"You know of a way to save me?" I choke, coughing slightly from the dream shade traveling through my body.

"Yes. But, it does come with a price" Peter warns, squeezing my hand tightly.

"That doesn't matter" I tell him. "Whatever the price may be, I'll pay it."

"That's what they all say" he whispers to himself. "Well, we need to get going if you want the cure."

He hoists me up and carries me bridal style so I don't have to walk on my injured leg. We start walking through the jungle to whatever destination Peter has in mind. I stare at the sky with squinting eyes as a way of trying to block out the sun from my line of vision. My aimless eyes then come across two little birds flying together. My eyes and mind are then fixated on the birds, trying to think about anything but dying.

"I really like birds" I tell Peter, tilting my head towards his shoulder so I can see him. "I've always had this dream of becoming a bird so I can fly far away from all my problems."

"Well, in a way your dream actually came true" he replies. I think he might be trying to get the thought of me dying out of his head too. "You came to Neverland to escape your problems and you flew. That seems to match all the characteristics of your dream."

"I guess you're right" I say, turning my gaze back towards the sky.

"But, it seems that coming to Neverland just added to your problems" he says, letting out a sigh of despair.

"Peter, I know we've hit some bumps in the road, and well, this is more of a pot hole..." I say as I try to speak a proper sentence, but end up rambling. "But, coming here and meeting you is the best decision I ever made."

He smiles and stops dead in his tracks. He lifts me up a little higher and slams his lips on mine with so much passion and love that I could have honestly died happy right then and there. He pulls away and gently swipes his thumb over my bottom lip, like he did when he first kissed.

"I love you, and I will save you" he says softly yet with determination.

*****************************************************************************************

"We're here" Peter announces after walking for what felt like ages. I look up and see a tall mountain that extends high above all the trees in Neverland.

"Where are we?" I mumble, feeling weak and fragile.

"Dead Man's Peak" Peter answers, looking down at me. "At the top is where we'll find the cure."

"You're telling me we came all this way for the cure so we can climb a mountain to get it?" I ask, not being able to fully express my frustration due to my weak state.

"Climbing will not be necessary" he says, staring up at the top of the mountain. Suddenly, purple smoke starts to appear at Peter's feet and it engulfs us both. Not long after, the purple smoke dissipates and our surroundings change. I look around and all I see is ocean and land. I then realized we were at the top of Dead Man's Peak. Peter lays me down on the ground gently and plants a kiss to my forehead. I watch him as he walks over to a wall of vines and waves his hand in front of it. The vines then part like the red sea, as if Peter was Moses, and reveals a lush waterfall hiding behind them. He rushes over to the waterfall and cups his hands, filling them with water. He carefully walks over to me, making sure he doesn't let a single drop of water leave his cupped hands. He crouches down and holds his water-filled hands before me.

"This is the cure Alaina" he says, staring into my eyes as if its the last time he'll see them. "If you drink this water, you'll be cured of your dream shade poisoning and you'll live."

"Gr-great" I stutter, feeling myself slipping away further and further. "Now let me have a sip of that water."

"I must warn you first Alania" he says. "Drinking this water comes with an enormous price. If you drink it, you can never leave Neverland, or you'll die."

"Peter, what did I tell you when I first came to Neverland?" I whisper lovingly, reaching up to touch his soft cheek. "I'm not going anywhere. Now, may I please drink some of that water?"

Peter gives a small smile and brings his cupped hands to my mouth. He tilts his hands forward so the cold, refreshing water can slide down my dry, aching throat. I swallow every last drop of the magical spring water that was in Peter's hands and my pain instantly fades and my energy is restored. I look down at my injured leg to see that the cut that caused me to be poised had faded away and the skin around it had gone back to normal. I jump up and give Peter the biggest bear hug possible as he spins me all around. He sets me down on my feet and kisses me passionately like he did earlier. Our lips break apart and I rest my head on his shoulder with my arms wrapped around him.

"Lets get off this mountain now, yeah?" he says, conjuring up more purple smoke that brought us to the inside of my tree house. Suddenly, Peter looked nauseous and like something was seriously wrong with him. His legs then gave out and he fell to the ground and fainted. I immediately crouch down to his aid.

"Peter? Peter are you okay? PETER!?" I shout in a panicked tone. I shake his shoulders relentlessly, but he doesn't move a muscle. What do I do? I don't even know what's wrong with him. He was perfectly fine a minute ago, what happened?