I Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way

The night was cold and dark like any other. It was getting late so it was time for the lost boys to hit the hay. Only the older lost boys and myself have our own tree houses. The youngest lost boys all share a little cave with hammocks to sleep in and lanterns to provide light. I've been living in Neverland for a week now and I'm pretty sure I've gotten into the swing of things around here. Don't disobey Peter and don't try to leave the island, simple right? The young lost boys go running to their cave to get ready for bed. I saunter over to the cave just to say a quick goodnight when Trevor suddenly tugs on my grey sweatpants.

"Will you tell us a bedtime story Mother?" he politely asks, looking up at me with sweet, innocent eyes.

"I don't see why not" I respond, picking him up and setting him on his hammock. The other lost boys get up and gather around to hear my bedtime story.

"What kind of story would you all want to hear?" I ask as I've never really told a bedtime story before. I was an only child growing up, so I didn't have any younger siblings to tell stories to. Yes, I did live in foster homes that had younger children like the one I left behind, but I was never close with any of them.

"What stories do you already know?" a lost boy standing in the back of the cluster utters.

"You can tell them one about me" says a random voice that did not belong to any of the lost boys.

I turn around and see Peter standing in the cave entrance. He wanders inside and makes himself at home by sitting in one of the hammocks. All the lost boys stare at him as he takes a seat.

"What are you doing here?" Trevor exclaims, staring at Peter like he's the scum of the Earth.

"I came to listen to Alaina's story" he responds, casually "I like stories too, you know."

"Alright, I have an idea for a story" I tell them. They all start to get comfortable and turned their full attention towards me, Peter included.

"I'm gonna tell you all the story of Peter Pan" I start off. They all sigh in protest, except Peter, who smirks and rests his hands behind his head. "Oh don't worry, this Pan is nothing like the Pan you all know."

They all perk their heads up and look at me in confusion. If I didn't have their attention already, boy do I have it now.

"Peter Pan was a happy young boy who never grew up. He lived in a place called 'Neverland', where he could laugh and play all day long. He wasn't alone though, he had the lost boys who, just like him, never grew up. Peter and the lost boys spent their days playing games and fighting pirates. In Neverland, they could do whatever they wanted."

I pause and look around a bit. Everyone was completely engrossed. Even Peter looked at me with his mouth slightly open. Even if he is the oldest of all the lost boys, he's still a child. After seeing if everyone was still with me, I continued the story.

"There were no grown ups to tell them what to do. All the lost boys could laugh and play without a care in the world. They were all so happy to live where they lived, and they wouldn't have it any other way."

I finish the story and everyone is in awe. Some of them looked a bit sleepy, then I realized its past their bedtime. I look over at Peter and see that he's looking down at his folded hands in his lap. He looks sad as he twiddles his thumbs. I can't help but wonder why he looks so sad.

"Alright, I think its time for all of you to go to sleep" I say, standing up and putting my hand to my mouth while letting out a yawn. Peter stands up and stands along side me.

"I agree, you all need your sleep for tomorrow" Peter adds, but more sternly.

All the lost boys scurried to their hammocks and I came around and said goodnight to all of them. I blew out all the lanterns exept for one, just in case any of them might be scared of the dark. Peter and I walk out together in the direction of our tree houses. He still looks sad and he's awfully quiet.

"Are you alright?" I ask, expressing concern for the sad, handsome boy.

"I'm fine, its just..." he utters weakly as he stops walking.

I stop walking also and stand in front of him. He stares down at the ground, refusing to look at me. I place both my hands on his cheeks and lift his head to look at me.

"Please tell me whats wrong" I plead, looking into his sad green eyes with my blue ones.

"The Peter Pan you described in your story" he utters, swiping his thumb over one of my hands as they rested on his cheeks. "You grew up thinking I was like him, but I'm not."

"I know you're not Peter" I respond, bringing his head down slightly to rest his forehead against mine. "But this is who you are, and I wouldn't have you any other way."

He looks at me and I see a gleam of hope in his eyes. I can't help but smile as I see that look in his eyes. I can feel his arms snake around my waist and he pulls me closer.

"You're so precious" he whispers as his breath lands on my mouth. Suddenly, with no warning at all, he pressed his lips against mine in a sweet, yet passionate kiss. I kiss back and warp my arms around his neck to pull him closer. Fireworks are exploding in my stomach and my face is warm and most likely very red. My fingers find their way to his hair and I play with the soft, light brown tuffs. We both pull way breathlessly. I bet if we didn't need to breath, we would have never broke apart. He takes his thumb and swipes it over my bottom lip which was slightly swollen from our kiss.

"I've wanted to do that since you came here" he whispers breathlessly, staring into my eyes, then to my lips, and back again.

"Best first kiss ever" I whisper back, just as breathless. "Can we have our second kiss now?"

He smiles from ear to ear and pulls me closer, if that was even possible.

"I'd love to" he says, barley above a whisper. We then shared another sweet, yet passionate kiss.