The Heart of The Truest Believer

Peter and I stand impatiently, waiting to hear the remedy that will save Peter's life. I completed the shadow's challenge, now he must hold up his end of the bargain.

"Tell me how I can save Peter!" I demand from the shadow, impatiently.

"Alright, I'll tell you what you want to know" the shadow responds with a sigh. "In order for Pan to be free of his curse, he must find the one who owns the heart of the truest believer."

Peter and I look over at each other with both our eyebrows scrunched to make a confused expression. What's he saying? Is this some kind of joke?

"And, how exactly would that help me?" Peter asks.

"Well, its rather simple" says the shadow. "You must find the person who is the owner of this special heart, take his heart, and put it inside your chest."

"What will happen to him after its in his chest?" I interrupt, feeling concerned for Peter's safety.

"Don't worry, nothing bad will happen to him" the shadow says, reassuring me. "Once Pan has the heart, he'll absorb all the magic in Neverland and become immortal."

I look at Peter to see how he's taking all this information. I notice his somewhat surprised expression when the shadow mentioned immortality. He turns to me and takes both my hands in his.

"Did you hear that, Alaina?" Peter whispers, slightly shaking my hands out of excitement. "If I get this heart, I'll become immortal and I can be with you forever."

I smile at the thought of being here in Neverland with Peter forever. Him being his usual assertive self and me being the motherly figure to the young lost boys. I'd never go a single day without a kiss or any act of affection for that matter. He'd be mine and I'd be his, forever. Thinking about all of this makes me desperate to find the owner of this 'special heart'.

"So, who is it?" I abruptly ask the shadow. "Who is the person who owns the heart we need?"

The shadow floats over to me and Peter and puts his hands out like he's waiting for us to give him something. Suddenly, a mini cloud of purple smoke appears in his hands. When the smoke dissipates, a old and warn piece of paper is left behind. The shadow puts his hands closer to me, telling me to take the paper. I slowly reach my hand forward and take the piece of paper from his open hands. Peter looks over my shoulder at the paper, wondering what its significance is. I slowly turn the paper over to see if there is anything on the other side and sure enough, there is. There on the other side of the paper, was a drawing of what appeared to be a young boy. I don't recognize him at all, in fact, I don't even think he's here in Neverland. I turn around and hold the paper up in front of Peter.

"Do you recognize this boy?" I ask him, wondering if maybe he knows who he is.

"Actually, no" he responds, sounding surprised. "Out of all the boys I have brought to Neverland this is one boy I have never seen."

"That's because he hasn't been born yet" the shadow interrupts. "That's what he'll look like when you find him."

"When will he be born?" I ask desperately. As selfish as it seems, I want my happily ever after with Peter, and if this boy is the key to mine and Peter's happy ending, then I WILL find him.

"Relax child, he has only just been conceived" the shadow explains to me.

"So, we'll be waiting awhile then" I whisper to myself.

I look over at Peter and take his hand. "We should head back to camp and tell the boys."

"You're right, we need to prepare them for when the boy is born" he responds. and with that said, we went back to the lost boys camp to share our newly learned information with the lost boys.

******************************************************************

I sit on a log near the fire with the younger lost boys as we all make bracelets out of walnut shells and flower peddles. Peter on the other hand, is on the other side of the fire with the older lost boys. They look like they are having a deep discussion. They are probably making preparation for when the boy is born. I can tell how stressed he is just by his body language. He keeps adding pressure with his fingers to the area between his eyebrows and occasionally reaching up to scratch his head. He's thinking the same thing I'm thinking. He wants our happily ever after and is desperately trying to make sure it happens. 

Its now time for bed and I bring all the young lost boys to their cave and tuck them all in. After I have made sure all the boys are tucked in and comfortable, I leave and find Peter so we can walk to our tree houses together.

Peter and I walk together hand in hand in a comfortable silence. Our hands swayed slightly and I smile to myself at the realization.

"Alaina, what if I don't make it in time?" Peter asks abruptly, concern and worry evident in his voice. I stop walking and stand in front of him.

"What do you mean, Peter?" I utter.

"What if I die before we find the boy?" he utters softly, seeming like he's about to cry. "If I'm gone, we wont have our happy ending. I can't live without you, Alaina."

"I can't live without you either, Peter" I tell him, gazing into those amazingly captivating green eyes that I can't get enough of. "We will find the boy and you will have the heart that you need no matter how far we need to go to get it." He reaches up and softly strokes his knuckles on my cheek.

"I love you so much" he says to me, looking into my eyes with obvious adoration.

"I love you more" I respond, getting closer to him with every breathe I take.

"I love you most, precious" he whispers as I feel his warm breathe on my lips. Our lips connect and a different sort of feeling overcomes the both of us. The usual love and passion was still there, but another feeling has been added on, a little bit of lust is evident in this kiss. I can feel it radiating off of Peter's body, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be feeling this way just yet. I manage to break the kiss and Peter looks into my eyes apologetically.

"I'm sorry, its just, I love you so much and-" I interrupt his rambling by pressing my index finger to his lips.

"Its alright, I understand" I reassure him. "You know, these trees have seen us kiss a lot of times."

Peter chuckles at my words and places his finger under my chin. "And they'll continue to see us kiss a lot more."

***********************************************************

Hello everyone! I'm @mylittle_ghost the author of "His Precious Bird". I'm pleased to announce that I will be writing a sequel to this book called "Finding The Heart". This book will take place a few years after the events of "His Precious Bird" when Peter, Alaina, and the lost boys are in search of the owner of the Heart of The Truest Believer. An exact release date for the first chapter has not been debated yet, but the storyline for the next book is currently in production. Thank you to all who have read and enjoyed "His Precious Bird" and I hope you enjoy the next book just as much.